An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lcwr?

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

I feel like I'm demonstrating a great show of ignorance even by asking this, but what is the LCWR? From what I understand, it's a group started by sisters to get "women's rights" from the Church (like ordaining women...?). I just keep seeing the term floating around (not on here) and I'm tired of having no idea of what people are talking about. :hmmm: I don't wanna open up a can of worms, but I am genuinely curious.

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

ToJesusMyHeart

The LCWR stands for "Leadership Conference of Women Religious" and it is an organization of many communities of sisters. Recently, (since Vatican II), many of the leaders of the communities who are associated with the LCWR have begun to contradict Church teachings by advocating for things such as women's ordination, gay marriage, contraception, liturgical dance, etc.

Not all communities within the LCWR are crazy like this. Not all are liberal. But the LCWR as a whole has this dirty reputation because of the superiors of the communities who do advocate for practices that go against Church teaching.

The LCWR was NOT started in order to push the feminist agenda. It started out as a genuine attempt at networking and collaborating between the many different women's religious communities in the USA. It has devolved since then into the troubled situation that you have heard of.

"[color=#000000][font='Droid Sans', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3] Founded in 1956, the conference assists its members to collaboratively carry out their service of leadership to further the mission of the Gospel in today’s world." -from LCWR webpage.[/size][/font][/color]

That's my quick explanation, but if anyone disagrees with my information, I am open to correction.

Pax.

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1346271993' post='2475980']
The LCWR stands for "Leadership Conference of Women Religious" and it is an organization of many communities of sisters. Recently, (since Vatican II), many of the leaders of the communities who are associated with the LCWR have begun to contradict Church teachings by advocating for things such as women's ordination, gay marriage, contraception, liturgical dance, etc.

Not all communities within the LCWR are crazy like this. Not all are liberal. But the LCWR as a whole has this dirty reputation because of the superiors of the communities who do advocate for practices that go against Church teaching.

The LCWR was NOT started in order to push the feminist agenda. It started out as a genuine attempt at networking and collaborating between the many different women's religious communities in the USA. It has devolved since then into the troubled situation that you have heard of.

"[color=#000000][font=Droid Sans', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3] Founded in 1956, the conference assists its members to collaboratively carry out their service of leadership to further the mission of the Gospel in today’s world." -from LCWR webpage.[/size][/font][/color]

That's my quick explanation, but if anyone disagrees with my information, I am open to correction.

Pax.
[/quote]

:eek: Sounds like something I don't want to get into, then. . .

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1346274151' post='2476006']
[url="http://www.cmswr.org/index.html"]http://www.cmswr.org/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

So it looks like this is kind of the opposite of the LCWR? Am I right in seeing it kind of like that...?

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1346275410' post='2476014']
So it looks like this is kind of the opposite of the LCWR? Am I right in seeing it kind of like that...?
[/quote]

Not exactly. I think there are sisters in the LCWR with habits, and there are definitely LCWR sisters who are orthodox.

The CMSWR is not the opposite of the LCWR, although it is pretty much the opposite of those feminist heterodox nuns you see on the news opposing the Church. It was started to give habit wearing, orthodox communities a group that was under Rome, not under the leadership of a board of Sisters, which is what the LCWR is modeled as.

HopefulBride

Just read the other LCWR threads. I'm afraid you will get a lot of opinions muddled up with the facts about the LCWR, the gist of it though is that it's like the CMSWR in that it is an opportunity for Religious superiors to network however over the years the leadership of many of the LCWR communities have changed in that their [i]some [/i]of their views oppose Rome.

To Jesus Through Mary

Awww see how much we have grown up? We can mention the LCWR without it turning into the Debate Table... I'm so proud of us. :winner: *wiping tear from my eye*

DiscerningCatholic

I just honestly had no clue about what they were. I was getting the impression that a lot of them weren't exactly compliant with Church teaching, but I didn't know. But "Nuns for choice"? Really? Wanting to ordain women? Really?

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1346287697' post='2476079']
I just honestly had no clue about what they were. I was getting the impression that a lot of them weren't exactly compliant with Church teaching, but I didn't know. But "Nuns for choice"? Really? Wanting to ordain women? Really?
[/quote]

[size=2]Shhhhhhh... We almost made it through without a debate... [/size]

Seriously though- yeah, it's sad that [i]some[/i] of the members of the LCWR believe those things. Pray for them. Pray for ALL Catholics who are pro-aborts or want to "ordain women"... in fact pray for all anti-life activists :)

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1346288998' post='2476090']
[size=2]Shhhhhhh... We almost made it through without a debate... [/size]

Seriously though- yeah, it's sad that [i]some[/i] of the members of the LCWR believe those things. Pray for them. Pray for ALL Catholics who are pro-aborts or want to "ordain women"... in fact pray for all anti-life activists :)
[/quote]

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzpktqHPEy1qjsb6f.jpg[/img]