An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Website For Philadelphia Carmel, Wow!

Chiquitunga

[url="http://www.discalcedcarmelitesphila.org/"]http://www.discalced...litesphila.org/[/url] Beautiful! :heart: I am just finding this now..

IgnatiusofLoyola

As many of you know, I am not naturally a Carmelite by disposition. (As far as I can figure out, I am either a Dominican with a strong streak of Ignatian or an Ignatian with a strong streak of Dominican.)

However, I LOVED these videos. Thank-you for posting them!

Note: These videos are clearly not intended to give lots of information about this specific Monastery, but more to give words of wisdom and faith that, although they primarily come from the Carmelite charism, speak equally to those who are not Carmelite.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1346696977' post='2477914']
As many of you know, I am not naturally a Carmelite by disposition. (As far as I can figure out, I am either a Dominican with a strong streak of Ignatian or an Ignatian with a strong streak of Dominican.)

However, I LOVED these videos. Thank-you for posting them!

Note: These videos are clearly not intended to give lots of information about this specific Monastery, but more to give words of wisdom and faith that, although they primarily come from the Carmelite charism, speak equally to those who are not Carmelite.
[/quote]

Totally agree. I enjoyed that the videos had a more 'general' slant since I am not discerning Carmel... Thanks for posting Chiquitunga!

Laudem Gloriae

Thanks chiqi, as you know I visited this several years ago before Kirk Edge and this is a wonderful community! The monastery is beautiful! I stayed in their extern quarters and acted as one as I was given the keys to lock all doors at and night and open them early in the morning!

The chapel is gorgeous and the chapel and monastery extern areas are filled with relics of St. Padre Pio. A nun there once met him and she met with him for spiritual advice - in a way. Here is an article on her, Sr. Jesus of Jesus Crucified (there is a picture of her in their parlor at the end of the article: http://www.padrepiodevotions.org/2009Oct.asp

Despite them being in a noisy part of Philly, the sisters said it was pretty quiet inside. I heard some noise from the street in the extern quarters at night.

I loved this Philly Carmel.

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' timestamp='1346720085' post='2478090']
Thanks chiqi, as you know I visited this several years ago before Kirk Edge and this is a wonderful community! The monastery is beautiful! I stayed in their extern quarters and acted as one as I was given the keys to lock all doors at and night and open them early in the morning!

The chapel is gorgeous and the chapel and monastery extern areas are filled with relics of St. Padre Pio. A nun there once met him and she met with him for spiritual advice - in a way. Here is an article on her, Sr. Jesus of Jesus Crucified (there is a picture of her in their parlor at the end of the article: [url="http://www.padrepiodevotions.org/2009Oct.asp"]http://www.padrepiod...org/2009Oct.asp[/url]

Despite them being in a noisy part of Philly, the sisters said it was pretty quiet inside. I heard some noise from the street in the extern quarters at night.

I loved this Philly Carmel.
[/quote]

Sr Jesus? I was about to say how strange that was, but I went to the link (thank you for it!) and it was Sr Pia. Must have been a typo. :like:

Laudem Gloriae

Yes Emma,! typo but more like brain going faster than fingers! An I can type extremely fast so my mind must have been zipping right along! ha!

Lovely. Besides...thanks for satisfying a lifetime of curiosity. This was my old neighborhood. We passed the monastery every day going to school, and went to Benediction in the chapel almost every Sunday, wondering all the while what else was behind those walls !
If something hasn't changed in the last few years, though, the nuns' numbers are quite low, and new life would be a great gift for them. The country spot that it was in 1902 is now one of the busiest intersections in that part of Philadelphia, but still quieter than when a live and loudly amplified auto auction was situated just across the street.
We expected that it was the prayers of the Carmelites that finally caused it to shut down.

VeniJesuAmorMi

God reward you for sharing! :)

I enjoyed the videos; so those statues and pictures must be at the monastery? (The ones in the videos.) They were so beautiful. Its also a beautiful monastery; I hope they never have to close it down. Also, the area needs contemplatives.

[b]It used to be that they couldn't, because the choir is situated behind the sanctuary, with grilles on the right and left, not at the side as in most of their monasteries. The nuns felt (we asked them, of course) that the obligation was to "hear Mass," not necessarily to "see" it, and not seeing was part of their life of sacrifice. Perhaps as the years have gone by some other arrangement has been made, but the way the chapel is built would make changing the layout a major project. We did visit one Carmel with a similar problem where an altar had been placed just inside the choir, accessible from the sacristy.[/b]

[b]For Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, the monstrance was placed on top of the tabernacle, where a small window did allow it to be seen from both sides.[/b]