An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sheol And/or Hades- Understanding The Biblical References To Purgatory

Judas Maccabaeus

Purgatory Destination Quiz  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Judas Maccabaeus

[u][b]I. Biblical English = II. Old Testament Hebrew = III. New Testament Greek[/b][/u]
I. Purgatory = II. Sheol = III. Hades
I. Christianity = II. Judaism = III. Paganism

The fact of the matter is that many scholars have produced a growing body of evidence proving that the Hebrew word Sheol, which is mentioned over 55 times in the Old Testament, and the Latin word Purgatory MEAN the SAME THING. Therefore, the Bible does not mention Purgatory by name simply because it was originally written in Hebrew (Sheol) and Greek (Hades) and not Latin (Purgatorio). Due to the differing Biblical languages in question, Purgatory is referred to in Scriptures as either Sheol or Hades. Listed below are two different on-line authorities who have both come to the exact same conclusion about the actual meaning of the words Sheol in Hebrew, Hades in Greek, Purgatorio in Latin, and Purgatory in English:

SOURCE #1 [i]- “Sheol” is the Hebrew name for what could be Hades, Hell, Purgatory, or a well of souls-a holding tank[/i]. (Book Review: Sheol Has Opened, ForewordReviews.com)
SOURCE #2 -[i] I'm going to suggest that what the Latin word, "Purgatorio" signifies, that is the place where we are purged of disordered self-love, the Hebrew word, "Sheol" can also signify or denote. Just like the Greek word "Hades" can denote it. Three words, perhaps with the same reality, with proper distinctions made[/i]. (Purgatory: Holy Fire, by SCOTT HAHN, CatholicEducation.org)

Tragically, more than few Biblical scholars mistakenly insist the two words in question, namely Hades and/or Sheol must always translate into the English word Hell. This woefully misleading replacement of the words Hades and Sheol with the English term Hell began with the 1611 King James Version of the Bible Unfortunately, the Protestant Biblical Scholars have boldly continued in their deceptive usage of the English designation Hell when replacing the original Greek/Hebrew term called Hades/Sheol. Knowing full well the word Hades/Sheol actually refers to something very, very different from Hell, they silently carry on with their deliberate mistranslation of nearly every Protestant Bible still being published today. In the vain hope of denying Purgatory for the next 1,000 years, certain Protestant authorities have conspired to leave most readers of Protestant Scriptures in the dark about the issue. Sadly, the vast majority of God-fearing Protestants will never be made aware of the real meaning behind the words Hades and Hades. Their naive certainties about the evils of Catholicism destine most of them to an ill-informed Protestant Christian faith which has been founded, not upon zealous scholarship or pious reasoning, but upon generations of bigoted ignorance concerning the many Biblical truths of Purgatory.

[i]The word Purgatory is derived from the Latin Purgatorio, ("cleansing," "purifying") in Hebrew it's Sheol.[/i]

- Purgatory - Biblical and Patristic Insight, CatholicApologetics.info

First of all, Hell was considered a place of eternal damnation, while Sheol and Hades were mostly viewed as somewhat miserable, but temporary spiritual realms of suffering. Hell, and its never-ending duration, could not possibly be the correct translation of either Hades or Sheol, which were temporary abodes of the dead. Indeed, the New Testament shows that Jesus never uses these two terms to describe Hell. Instead He refers to Hell, the land of eternal damnation, as Gehenna every single time. Christ does mention the Sheol, or at least its upper regions, using a particular set of words called the Bosom of Abraham (Paradise). This spiritual haven for the righteous was deemed to be eternal so it most definitely was not Heaven, but certainly was not Hell (Gehenna in Hebrew). This specifically Hebrew land of the deceased could be compared to some of the highest levels of Purgatory where there is far less suffering than way below. Indeed, these peaceful, yet shadowy, regions of the dead are, according to legend, presumed to be located fairly close to the Divine light of Heaven.

[i]Some Scriptural scholars claim Sheol or the Netherworld was the Jewish name for Purgatory...The evidence is...significant that Sheol signifies Purgatory. At the very least, ancient Israelites believed in a place or state where you would go when you die that was temporary, and neither heaven nor hell.[/i]

- Chapter 23: Purgatory, CatholicApologetics.com

[center][img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/rizap_medium/419595660641789441347689993885.jpg[/img][/center]

Given the actual definition of the word, any New Testament mention of the Greek term Hades should simply be seen as yet another Biblical reference to Purgatory. As with Christian Purgatory, Hades traditionally referred to a temporary Greco-Roman land of the Gentile dead, which inevitably led to Pagan Heaven (Elysium). After Christianity finally adopted Latin as the official language of the Holy Bible and the Church, the original Biblical names such as Hades and Sheol eventually became known as Purgatory- defined as a temporary spiritual abode for most Christians which preceded entry into Heaven. Thus the formula: Sheol = Hades = Purgatory is both historically and metaphorically correct. Over time, however, the Jews stopped referring to their version of Purgatory as Sheol, calling it Gehenna instead. The Sheol, basically remained the same centrally-located place stretching from the uppers levels which bordered Heaven, to the pit of Hell at the very bottom. The Sheol was now seen as having two distinct regions- an upper one meant only for the righteous called Paradise (Bosom of Abraham), along with a much lower region called Gehenna. This particular region which consisted of the lowest depths within the entire Sheol was where the wicked spirits and sinful souls of the condemned were punished, perfected and purified. Thus, the Biblical words which define this unique three-tiered system of the after-life in English, Greek, and Hebrew reads as follows:

[u][b]TEXT: Salvation + Redemption + Damnation = Language and Religion[/b][/u]
HOLY BIBLE: Heaven + Purgatory + Hell = English Christianity
NEW TESTAMENT: Elysium + Hades + Tartarus = Greek Paganism
OLD TESTAMENT: Gan Eden + Sheol/Gehenna + Gehenna = Hebrew Judaism

SOURCE DOCUMENT: Purgatory + Hades + Sheol/Gehenna = English + Greek + Hebrew

Deniers of Purgatory should always remember that both the Jews, and the Greco-Roman Gentiles who ruled them, basically agreed that the spiritual world consisted of a three-layer system of the after-life, with the vast majority of souls finding themselves in what is now called Purgatory (Hades/Sheol). The reason behind this similarity in religious thought, was due to their shared sense of logic and reason- the simple common sense underlying these two doctrines. Both Jew and Gentile recognized that, rather than being total Sinners or perfect Saints, most people were a combination of both good and evil which required some, but not never-ending punishment, after death. Indeed, Jews still believe in a version of Purgatory even today and will sometimes call it by that name rather than by the Hebrew expression Sheol/Gehenna. Even so, the English term Purgatory, derived from the Latin Purgatorio, remains a mostly Catholic phrase which basicallly means the same thing.

Those who still hysterically refuse to accept the existence of Purgatory, and insist that Jesus Christ would most definitely have referred to such a place by name, should read their Gospels again, as well as their Old Testament. When studied carefully enough, and if read with an open mind, the four Gospels really do contain literally dozens of references to Purgatory. One just needs to look.

May the LORD God bless you in the name of St. Judas Maccabaeus.

Sometimes I rub my belly. I find it relaxing. Not only is it relaxing but my earnest hope is that it will help with digestion. I don't suffer from indigestion but I think this is a wise precaution. Lately I have noticed that I have begun to accumulate fat on my belly. I've really gotten out of the habit of intensely working out and I eat less healthy now that I am busier. I hope to remedy this problem. I did a calisthenics routine yesterday and hope to run and do more calisthenics today. But next week I am going to begin integrating weights into my routine again. Anywho. About my belly. Sometimes, when I am reading sometimes I will rest my forearm on my tummy to help support the book as I prop it up on my chest while I read. No homo!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1347711592' post='2482687']
I hope I go to purgatory.
[/quote]
But you won't, because I'm praying that you will go directly to heaven. You're a saintly person, all the props says so. Either that or you tell very good jokes And Jesus said that what I ask for (unselfishly) in his name he will grant.
Hassan not going to purgatory either, he's going to the funny farm. To learn how to tell better jokes of course.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

I am definetily shooting for purgatory ! At least that way I know I will get to heaven, and I will have company of many other fine souls who just need a little refining before they stand before the light of Christ.

Read 2 Maccabees 12 43-46 which deals with praying for the dead so they will be freed from sin. I Corinthians 3 15 if a mans building burns, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as one fleeing through fire. In 1 Peter 3 18-20 , Peter relates how Jesus died in the flesh but was given life in the realm of the spirit so he could preach to the " spirits in prison " .

Always pray for the holy souls in purgatory, now would be a great time ! This is an indulgenced invocation giving a Partial indulgence that applies only to the souls in purgatory, and should be prayed as often as one can. Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shin upon them. May the rest in peace. Amen

ed

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1347744208' post='2482781']
But you won't, because I'm praying that you will go directly to heaven. You're a saintly person, all the props says so. Either that or you tell very good jokes And Jesus said that what I ask for (unselfishly) in his name he will grant.
Hassan not going to purgatory either, he's going to the funny farm. To learn how to tell better jokes of course.
[/quote]
God bless you. You are in my prayers.

I would happily go to purgatory b/c going there you are guaranteed HEAVEN.

Mark of the Cross

I found Pope [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2heavn.htm"]John Paul 2 on Heaven hell and Purgatory[/url] as states not places interesting. It changes things somewhat, because it is possible to be in one place (physical reality) and in any of whatever states at the same time. In other words it's possible to be in any of the three states while still alive. This is not to imply that it doesn't continue or change after death. Example is you could be going through purgatory while alive and either remain or progress after death. A few times I've observed mildly sinful and troubled people attain an apparent state of peace and child like innocence even months prior to death.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1347695389' post='2482667']
Sometimes I rub my belly. I find it relaxing. Not only is it relaxing but my earnest hope is that it will help with digestion. I don't suffer from indigestion but I think this is a wise precaution. Lately I have noticed that I have begun to accumulate fat on my belly. I've really gotten out of the habit of intensely working out and I eat less healthy now that I am busier. I hope to remedy this problem. I did a calisthenics routine yesterday and hope to run and do more calisthenics today. But next week I am going to begin integrating weights into my routine again. Anywho. About my belly. Sometimes, when I am reading sometimes I will rest my forearm on my tummy to help support the book as I prop it up on my chest while I read. No homo!
[/quote]

Nobody has addressed my concern.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1347844424' post='2483160']
Nobody has addressed my concern.
[/quote]
Theology is very complex. No one knows how to answer your concerns. :unsure: In other words we're pretty thick, you may have to explain yourself!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

[quote][b]633 [/b]Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell" - [i]Sheol [/i]in Hebrew or [i]Hades [/i]in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God. Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham's bosom": "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham's bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell." Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.[/quote]
I visualise the abode of the dead (Hades) as a stasis like existence where those there are unconscious. In other words as JP2 describes it's a a state. Jesus awakened the souls of the just. In the end times death and Hades will be destroyed.

[quote][b]1035 [/b]The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity.[b] Immediately after death[/b] the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.[/quote]

[quote][b]1038 [/b]The resurrection of all the dead, "of both the just and the unjust,"[b] will precede the Last Judgment.[/b] This will be "the hour when all who are in the tombs will hear [the Son of man's] voice and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment." Then Christ will come "in his glory, and all the angels with him. . . . Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. . . .[b] And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.[/b][/quote]
Can anybody explain the apparent contradiction between these two and why no mention of purgatory. The latter is the way it was understood but as ref. to the nurse story I posted there is direct evidence of the presence of souls coming for the souls of the dead.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1347932547' post='2483518']
I don't see a contradiction. Help me find what you think you see please.
[/quote]
1035 implies the damned who have died are already in hell(Gehenna). I had never heard of this[b] immediate judgment at death[/b] until I read the CC. I don't recall it from scripture. That's not to say it's not there, I'm pretty forgetful! 1038 as Scripture tells, all of the damned go to Gehenna on judgement day. They're currently in Hades????(Death- the pit or grave- a state of unconsciousness maybe???) On judgement day the just who are in paradise, because Hades was opened to them when Christ descended there to free the just that had died before him will be resurrected to the physical but supernatural body.

Groo the Wanderer

Particular judgement and general judgement. Two different things.

check out the defense directory on the last things....read Heaven, Hell, Judgement please
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/links/category/10-end-times-and-last-things-eschatology/"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/links/category/10-end-times-and-last-things-eschatology/[/url]

Basilisa Marie

Not that this really adds to the conversation, but I find purgatory so fascinating and frustrating because we know so little about it. I mean really - a process of cleansing for our sins before heaven, and we need people to pray for us while we're there. That's about it.

I really don't like conflating Purgatory with Hades or Sheol, because they mean very different things to different people, and each has very specific and different connotations. When you start making them analogous, those connotations start to overlap, ultimately giving people the wrong idea of one or the other.

Maybe Sheol really [i]is[/i] Purgatory. That could be true. But I don't think it's a good idea to assert it as fact; the Jews don't think of Sheol in a way similar to how Catholics think of Purgatory.