An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contact Lenses?

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

I know this is totally random, but are sisters allowed to wear contact lenses? (It's also completely irrelevant to me, as I have better-than-20/20 vision. :|) I met two sisters at the conference I went to this summer (the DSMME's) and two sisters at Camp Covecrest this summer (the Daughters of St. Paul). One sister from both groups wore glasses and the other didn't. I'm also noticing, as I research different religious orders, that there are a LOT of sisters who wear glasses.

Most of my friends who need glasses just wear contacts. So I was wondering, are religious sisters allowed to wear contacts, or are they asked to keep their eyewear minimal and just wear glasses?

I don't know the answer, but I guess it would have something to do with cost. My friends who have contacts spend a small fortune on them. Not just the contacts themselves but stuff like lens solution as well. If you have glasses, it can be very cheap if you know where to go and get basic frames. My guess would be sisters would be more likely to chose glasses over lenses because it's more cost-effective (and thus more in keeping with poverty).

The portress at the Roswell Poor Clares wears glasses now, but she says that "in her youth she wore contacts" when I bought a brochure from the gift shop with her face on the cover, and she did not have glasses on. She still looks like she is in her youth to me! I've also seen my Sisters wear retainers at night when they unlock the church door for Lauds.

The Portress wearing contacts for a good part of her religious life kind of threw me-I did not understand why she wouldn't wear glasses. I still don't understand, but I don't think I am going to ask to take my contacts into the cloister. Every now and then they bother me, and I would not want to be chanting the Divine Office and worrying about my contact or rubbing my eyes! Although I know if I persevere, my parents would prefer for me not to wear glasses on the investiture day.

Anyway, I don't think the thing with most Sisters/communities is that you HAVE to wear glasses, but that most Sisters don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of contacts. Some communities may ask you (if you are attached to your contacts) to wear glasses as a renunciation of vanity.

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1348770534' post='2487308']
The portress at the Roswell Poor Clares wears glasses now, but she says that "in her youth she wore contacts" when I bought a brochure from the gift shop with her face on the cover, and she did not have glasses on. She still looks like she is in her youth to me! I've also seen my Sisters wear retainers at night when they unlock the church door for Lauds.

The Portress wearing contacts for a good part of her religious life kind of threw me-I did not understand why she wouldn't wear glasses. I still don't understand, but I don't think I am going to ask to take my contacts into the cloister. Every now and then they bother me, and I would not want to be chanting the Divine Office and worrying about my contact or rubbing my eyes! Although I know if I persevere, my parents would prefer for me not to wear glasses on the investiture day.

Anyway, I don't think the thing with most Sisters/communities is that you HAVE to wear glasses, but that most Sisters don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of contacts. Some communities may ask you (if you are attached to your contacts) to wear glasses as a renunciation of vanity.
[/quote]

Okay! That makes sense. :) And I love the bit you threw in there about the sister wearing a retainer...that's another thing I've been worrying about (since I DO have a retainer). I don't think my parents would be thrilled about me undoing [amount of money here] in dental work if/when I enter the convent... :|

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1348767278' post='2487275']
I know this is totally random, but are sisters allowed to wear contact lenses? (It's also completely irrelevant to me, as I have better-than-20/20 vision. :|) I met two sisters at the conference I went to this summer (the DSMME's) and two sisters at Camp Covecrest this summer (the Daughters of St. Paul). One sister from both groups wore glasses and the other didn't. I'm also noticing, as I research different religious orders, that there are a LOT of sisters who wear glasses.

Most of my friends who need glasses just wear contacts. So I was wondering, are religious sisters allowed to wear contacts, or are they asked to keep their eyewear minimal and just wear glasses?
[/quote]

My friend who re-entered the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus had to get glasses last year and the Sisters don't pay for contact lenses. If you need corrective lenses, you have to wear glasses. I don't know about my order, but I think it's the same because three Sisters I've met wore glasses.

Contact lenses are very expensive! :)

I actually had a conversation about his with a sister who had just gotten glasses. She said that they usually preffer to have you wear glasses unless there is a medical reason why you need contacts. Also she said the reason you usually see them wearing similar looking glasses is that they want a simple frame no bright colors or anything and the ear pieces have to fit under the veil

Discerning Catholic...Someone mentioned "contacts are expensive"! I would like to add my 2 cents worth here... expense is based on your optical prescrption, the type of material they are made out of, the brand and where you purchase them..On-line verse in store. It can be a very basic cost..or really expensive. Next..I am glad to see that someone else has noticed the same thing as I have! I have observed that religious wear GLASSES more often than not. I have looked at hundreds of images of religious communities..the tally is GLASS wearers out number non glass wearers every time. I even Googled this type of question out of curiosity. It seems that religious do ALOT of reading,which in turn effects the eyes. Also...aging is another factor..presbyopia..
(aging of the eye) also occurs which is another factor. Eventually..most all, will need some sort of reading aid as the years go by. This is the most general/simple explanation I have found.It almost seems like Glasses are another part of the habit! lol