An Old School Catholic Message Board

Please Give Me Travel Advice...italy In Feb?

jumpfrog

Hi all,

I just realized that I can fly one way from Toronto to Italy and then on to Seoul (and my job) for about the same cost as the one way flight via Vancouver and transpacific that I normally take. So I was thinking maybe this could be a chance for me to visit Rome.

I am NOT a traveler, and I have never been to Europe. It worries me a bit, how I will manage to get around etc. But I was looking at some photos of Rome and its sights on a blog post, and they were just so amazing. So I checked for airfares, and now I am thinking I will really do it.

I am thinking of flying into Milan and leaving from Rome about maybe 15-16 days or so later. Anyone want to tell me some tips, or any info really. I am hoping that Feb will be a less crowded and cheaper time, both of these points are important...I am on a budget (who isn't!) and I have a really hard time being in crowded or noisy places. I want to see beautiful places, though.

OK, if anyone would be so kind as to tell me some ideas or tips, I would really appreciate it!

jf

Getting around in Rome is VERY easy, especially if you are primarily going to places in and around Vatican city. :) Practically everybody speaks English, things are clearly marked, and maps are relatively easy to follow.

Yes! Feb is a great time to visit Italy! It will be much less crowded, although most prices will still be the same (except airfare is certainly cheaper). I lived in Rome for a year, if you'd like to talk specifics send me a message.

One tip for saving money in Rome, stay in a Pensione instead of a hotel. Basically it is renting a room in a convent and living with the sisters - simple accommodations, but almost always clean and safe.

[quote name='morostheos' timestamp='1348834921' post='2487563']
One tip for saving money in Rome, stay in a Pensione instead of a hotel. Basically it is renting a room in a convent and living with the sisters - simple accommodations, but almost always clean and safe.
[/quote]

Do this. I was in Rome for three days a few years ago and stayed in a convent. Very clean...and very close to Saint Peter's :)

I live in Rome... you already got good advice. Feb is less crowded, but things are never cheaper in Rome according to season :(

Also, use public transportation whenever you can. Avoid taxis like the plague, and if you do use one, look around. It should be posted in the back seat the starting price and price per minute/mile. Watch the meter and don't get tricked, because taxi drivers often trick tourists! Also if you want to save money going from the airport, take the train. If you want to save extra money then take the train to Trastevere instead of Termini. When you are closer to your trip, message me and I'll tell you how to get wherever you want to go.

Kill the first Roman you meet.

Bite the ear off the second one.

Spit the ear at the third.

Your visit will be peaceful from then on.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1348839002' post='2487573']
Kill the first Roman you meet.

Bite the ear off the second one.

Spit the ear at the third.

Your visit will be peaceful from then on.
[/quote]
This is horrible advice.

Oh... and here is a list of convents that offer hospitality

[url="http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html"]http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html[/url]

Did a pilgrimage to Italy in mid-March a while back, and it was a WONDERFUL time to be there. Bring rain gear (poncho, umbrella, whatever) because it rained a lot... but it wasn't bad.

If you get a chance to get to Assisi, even for a day, DO IT. It's really easy to do from Rome by train or you can get an all-included day trip if you don't want to bother with too many details.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1348843906' post='2487586']
This is horrible advice.
[/quote]
Welcome to the Thunderdome.

You can always skip the first step, if you're a more peaceful type person.

Edited by Winchester

Thanks to those responding!

I looked at staying in convents, but most are more expensive than hostels...I think they are more economical if you are traveling in a group, but as a single person they cost twice as much as a hostel.

Does it cost money to visit churches? What do you think I should budget for food etc? I can't see myself sitting alone in restaurants, so any suggestions about meals etc? (Yes, I know I could meet people as I go, but I am a shy loner, so I doubt I will.)

I am also trying to decide on if I should get a train pass or just buy point to point tix...I am thinking of flying into Milan and out from Rome, and I was going to skip Venice, since it is a little out of the way.

thanks for the tips, if you don't want to bump this thread you can pm me with advice too!

[quote name='jumpfrog' timestamp='1348885061' post='2487850']
Thanks to those responding!

I looked at staying in convents, but most are more expensive than hostels...I think they are more economical if you are traveling in a group, but as a single person they cost twice as much as a hostel.

Does it cost money to visit churches? What do you think I should budget for food etc? I can't see myself sitting alone in restaurants, so any suggestions about meals etc? (Yes, I know I could meet people as I go, but I am a shy loner, so I doubt I will.)

I am also trying to decide on if I should get a train pass or just buy point to point tix...I am thinking of flying into Milan and out from Rome, and I was going to skip Venice, since it is a little out of the way.

thanks for the tips, if you don't want to bump this thread you can pm me with advice too!
[/quote]
I do not think we paid to go into any churches in Rome. In a few places yes... Pisa, for instance, a few in Venice, but in Rome not once.
In terms of transit... know where you want to go ahead of time, and plan that way, When I went, we had three days, and we only used the subway once. Everything we prioritized was walking distance from Vatican city, and our hotel was literally two blocks away. Only time we took the train was to go to the Lateran Basilica one way, then we walked back and did several other things on the way, which was a ton of fun.

Oh! But I would recommend splurging for a tour guide for the Vatican museums. Number one, they are extremely good at their job in Rome. Most of them have art history degrees or something along those lines. There are so many things they can tell you that you would never get in a single tour otherwise.
Second, if you have an official guide, you do not wait in the line to get into the museum, which gets extremely long, extremely quickly.

The trains in italy can be confusing. There are many different types, and their prices vary greatly, so pay attention when you buy your ticket! If you are in a hurry, then take the "frecce rosso" or "Frecce argeto" (red or silver arrow), otherwise to save money, look out for the "regionale' trains. It's been a year since I lived in Rome, but there was an overnight train from Milan to Rome that was reasonably priced, and you get to sleep!

In Rome especially, be cautious of the "Zingari". They are the modern day gypsies, and unfortunately they make a career out of relieving tourists of their possessions. Just keep your bags close to you at the train stations, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Happy traveling, and say a prayer for us a st Peter's!!

AVE MARIA!!