An Old School Catholic Message Board

University

the171

Long time! How are y'all? I'm still with Lafayette.

I have a question: I am in my junior year so I am taking ACTs and SATs right now. My mother has been telling me I should start inquiring with colleges and universities "just in case something changes." Now I am fine with inquiring, but for next year: should I apply to a university if I am already set on entering? I am not applying right now, but next year? I feel like I am not trusting God enough if I have a "fallback."

Apply to colleges. It may cost you some money in application fees, but you'll be able to go to college if - as your mother says - "something changes."

It doesn't indicate any lack of trust in God. You may be set on entering, but the convent may not be set on accepting you.

If the convent does accept you, you can simply not register for classes at the college. You will have lost the application fees, but it's a small price to pay.

God helps those who help themselves, and you may need to help yourself to some education if "something changes."

Edited by Luigi

I think for the most part Luigi is right (note: God help those who help themselves is not Biblical :) ).

To set up a backup plan is not a bad thing to do. Why? Because things may change.

Case in point -- when I planned on entering the 2nd community that I entered, I had talked with the community and mentioned that I thought I could aim at entering July 2007.

That didn't happen. Why? Because of the sudden illness and death of my mom (note: I am a bit older ... not saying that this can/will happen; just an example). Because of this I had to postpone my entrance by 6 months in order to recuperate my finances.

Second case in point -- I planned on saving a certain amount of money for the possibility of having to leave the order. I'm glad I did -- because my family could not afford a plane ticket from Argentina to get me home. I had just enough (down to $100) to be able to reestablish myself (i.e. down payment on an apartment, etc.). It was *just* right. That's providence ... (I had no clue as to what I would need) and prudence on my part (for not just saying "I'm never returning so I need nothing").

Hope this helps.

TheresaThoma

Applying may cost you a little bit money wise but remember the only time you make a final commitment at college is when you have shown up and are part way into the semester. Up until then you can not register or drop the classes that you registered. You might loose some money in fees and such but not a ton of money. I think it is smart to apply. There is a big difference between not trusting God and just being plain sensible.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

That's what my plan is. Also prompted by my mom. I have more time than you, though.

Prayers as always.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1349102666' post='2488775']
Long time! How are y'all? I'm still with Lafayette.

I have a question: I am in my junior year so I am taking ACTs and SATs right now. My mother has been telling me I should start inquiring with colleges and universities "just in case something changes." Now I am fine with inquiring, but for next year: should I apply to a university if I am already set on entering? I am not applying right now, but next year? I feel like I am not trusting God enough if I have a "fallback."
[/quote]

I don't think you are untrusting if you apply to college. I am hoping to enter really soon, too, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go back to school again while I wait to hear of my acceptance. The important thing is not to accumulate debt. I got financial aid so it was free for me. However, I wouldn't have gone back if I had to take out student loans. I will probably not finish out the degree I've chosen -- Medical Office Administration -- because I have 3 more semesters after this one, but there is nothing wrong with a contingency plan. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae