An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Fans Of St. Francis

DameAgnes

That should be "After a person calls Franciscan FRIARS 'Monks' more than twice, I stop reading." You forgot the comma. I feel comfortable correcting you in this (when I ordinarily wouldn't) because I can see from your attitude towards this woman's mistake that you would definitely want your own mistake pointed out.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1349294958' post='2489658']
That should be "After a person calls Franciscan FRIARS 'Monks' more than twice, I stop reading." You forgot the comma. I feel comfortable correcting you in this (when I ordinarily wouldn't) because I can see from your attitude towards this woman's mistake that you would definitely want your own mistake pointed out.
[/quote]

There is not necessarily a comma needed there.

Also, it was not a mistake that she made. I know from experience that she really is ignorant of the fact that Friars and Monks are worlds apart, and so she didn't know to make the distinction.

Edited by FuturePriest387

If she didn't know to make the distinction then it was a mistake. Perhaps when you get some real life experience you will come to see that we all need understanding and forgiveness for our mistakes.

emmaberry101

It's the St Francis thread. "Peace and goodness," aka chillax. If someone was harsh, the answer is not to be harsh back.

Again, "peace and goodness!"

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1349288128' post='2489612']
I couldn't read it. After a person calls Franciscan FRIARS "Monks" more than twice I stop reading.
[/quote]

And this is such a helpful and charitable attitude for someone who calls themself "futurepriest." Because, as a priest, you will never have to deal patiently and caringly with anyone who misspeaks, or misunderstands, or disagrees - you can just stop listening to them. Good luck with that....

emmaAntigonos

Tush, tush, all this over a comma!

As an Apostrophe Nazi, I can understand FP's annoyance, yet in this case, tact might be the best choice.

I'm quite sure I make mistakes similar to confusing "friar" and "monk", "sister" and "nun". To err, after all, is human, and when last I looked, I'm still that.

Everybody take a deep breath now...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Graciela' timestamp='1349316831' post='2489785']
And this is such a helpful and charitable attitude for someone who calls themself "futurepriest." Because, as a priest, you will never have to deal patiently and caringly with anyone who misspeaks, or misunderstands, or disagrees - you can just stop listening to them. Good luck with that....
[/quote]

I listen patiently to people I don't want to listen to quite a bit. I listened to Barack Obama bandy about his record for an hour and a half tonight, and I never got angry or anything. I said a general statement that was not a slight at the author of the link, just a joke about how I'm so picky about these things.

emmaAntigonos

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1349324849' post='2489830']

I listen patiently to people I don't want to listen to quite a bit. I listened to Barack Obama bandy about his record for an hour and a half tonight, and I never got angry or anything. I said a general statement that was not a slight at the author of the link, just a joke about how I'm so picky about these things.
[/quote]

Emoticons are useful in situations like this, so your meaning is clearer. :rolleyes: Both sarcasm and irony are hard to distinguish in writing, as opposed to the tone of voice used.

"Here endeth the first lesson" :hehe:

The way I would go about this is to write the author of the article directly. I have done such things many times. And write it in all charity of course. They usually are very happy for the correction. :)

Pax et Bonum .. following emma's suggestion :like: Happy Feast day and entrance of St. Francis into Heaven! :saint:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaAntigonos' timestamp='1349329881' post='2489848']
Emoticons are useful in situations like this, so your meaning is clearer. :rolleyes: Both sarcasm and irony are hard to distinguish in writing, as opposed to the tone of voice used.

"Here endeth the first lesson" :hehe:
[/quote]

This is one thing I admittedly struggle with. I use them all the time, I just sometimes get tired of overusing them in order to elaborate that I am joking. I have been told I have more of an English sense of humor as opposed to an American one, so it is sometimes hard for people to distinguish if I am joking or not.

Maximilianus

[quote name='kcrandall91' timestamp='1349396307' post='2490107']
Friar is to sister as monk is to nun?
[/quote]

Something like that. A frair is a brother of a mendicant order.

It is kind of humorous that the author describes the subjects as monks when their name is the Order of Friars minor. It's like saying "the soldiers of the U.S. Navy"

Edited by Maximilianus

emmaAntigonos

As I understand it, the original friars had no actual home, but wandered among the populace, preaching, and begging their way. Whereas monks are the inhabitants of a monastery, and enclosed.

I could be wrong, of course. And in any case, the distinction has become blurred as there are Franciscans who DO live in monasteries now.