An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fairly New Convert Seriously Discerning Religious Life :)

father's heart

father's heart

Hey Phatmassers! Let me begin by saying it pretty much makes my life that there is a website called phatmass.com. So hilariously beautiful.
So anyway, I converted this past January and was confirmed on Easter. The first time I was introduced to the idea of religious life outside of things like 'The Sound of Music' or 'Sister Act', I was absolutely blown away. I watched a super low-budget film on the life of St. John of the Cross and was hooked. I watched whatever I could find, began reading the diary of St. Faustina Kowalska, ect.. I was absolutely sure that I wanted to be a nun. Then the zeal began to wear off and reality began to sink in.. I forgot about this desire. It did pop up again though, I began that frustrating period of one week knowing I was called to the convent and the next being oh so sure I was meant to have a family. This was a time to say to God, "whatever You have for me I will do." Well, it's been almost half a year since Easter and here I am, about to go on a discernment retreat! I desire more than ever to give myself exclusively to Jesus. I keep remembering ways that, even as a protestant, God was drawing me to this kind of life all along. Nothing else has ever felt like reality, like, "I could really spend my life that way." Until now....:) I'm still holding it all loosely, I know that I must remain free to do whatever Jesus says. I am coming to see Him more and more as the intimate lover of my soul that He is! I have so far to go with Him, so much growing to do before I can know anything about my future, but I can't help being biased towards the amazing self sacrifice and total surrender of religious life! I'd really appreciate some prayers and love hearing the stories of fellow discerners :)

-Abbie

Welcome to the Church!

Ive heard that religious Communities tend to hold off on recent converts and have them wait a couple of years before entering. All in God's time though. I think of St Teresa Benedicta who God made wait ten years!!! prayers!

PhuturePriest

Welcome to Phatmass! :wave: I hope you stick around and have a good time here.

It is great to hear that you were confirmed into the Church and that you are discerning. I'm sure your retreat will be great and that you will learn a lot from it. If you don't mind telling us, what Community is it?

I'd tell you my discernment story, but you or others may feel uncomfortable with it so I won't post it here. If you want me to message you I gladly will. I love telling my conversion story.

salveregina10

Hi Abbie, wow, thank you for sharing your story! That brings back many memories for me. I too discovered Religious life as a Protestant, converted and kept on the winding path of discernment. I know it is not easy, but the blessing is we are never alone, our Lord walks with us and is always present. What helped me most in my discernment was going to daily Mass, praying in Adoration, going to Confession and having an amazing spiritual director. It was amesome that he lived in community and I had a chance to hang out with the friars. They even adopted kittens named Juanito and Teresa for St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila. Yes, for all you Carmelite lovers, they were members of the Discalced Carmelites of the Washington Province. :saint2:
Any experiences you can have with the Church and other Religious will only help you. I visited many communities during my discernment and stayed the course despite many misunderstandings and obstacles with family and friends. At the end of the day, I can't live my life for anyone but the Lord, and I knew He was calling me to this life no matter the cost.
My only advice or encouragement would be, don't be afraid!! Ask questions, try things on to see if it speaks to you with a sense of peace & joy and realize nothing is permanent on day one. The Church in Her wisdom gives us time in formation to find our way with the help of our community. So, know you're in my prayers and please let me know if I can be of help in any way! Hang in there, it is totally worth it, I love being a Sister and learn so much from formation each day. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I greet it with gratitude and faith that the Lord who called me will never dissapoint me in my hope. Blessings to you!

Edited by salveregina10

Welcome to Phatmass! Please keep us updated on how your retreat goes.

I too am a Protestant convert, and identify completely with what you said about feeling called to a way of life given exclusively for God even before becoming Catholic! Generally, when a Protestant feels this way they discern becoming: a) a minister, b) a worship leader, c) a youth leader, and the big d) a missionary in Africa, etc. Still, none of these options are 'enough' for someone called to live consecrated religious life. Isn't it beautiful being Catholic?! Welcome to the Church! :)

ChristinaTherese

Welcome to Phatmass! I'm also a protestant convert, but I'm still waiting for Father to get back to me about confirmation and all.... :saint2: I've been discerning/trying to not discern for about two years though. (Patience... I apparently need to learn it. I know that at least the Whitesville Passionists require having been Catholic for three years.)

Though I'm taking a break from posting so much on Phatmass, I thought I'd welcome you to the group! I have posted my Vocation Story in parts on my blog which you can find on:

http://myheartisrestless.blogspot.com/

father's heart

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1350154962' post='2493125']
Welcome to Phatmass! Please keep us updated on how your retreat goes.

I too am a Protestant convert, and identify completely with what you said about feeling called to a way of life given exclusively for God even before becoming Catholic! Generally, when a Protestant feels this way they discern becoming: a) a minister, b) a worship leader, c) a youth leader, and the big d) a missionary in Africa, etc. Still, none of these options are 'enough' for someone called to live consecrated religious life. Isn't it beautiful being Catholic?! Welcome to the Church! :)
[/quote]

Haha! Exactly, I always thought I had to be a missionary in Africa to radically give myself to God. Also, being celibate is sad and weird if you're a Protestant woman...people secretly pray that you'll find "the one" sooner or later. It is so amesome being Catholic! Nice picture btw, silly nuns ;)

father's heart

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1350156299' post='2493135']
Welcome to Phatmass! I'm also a protestant convert, but I'm still waiting for Father to get back to me about confirmation and all.... :saint2: I've been discerning/trying to not discern for about two years though. (Patience... I apparently need to learn it. I know that at least the Whitesville Passionists require having been Catholic for three years.)
[/quote]

I feel you on the patience thing, it's tough! It's amesome that you're also a convert :winner: ! Haha, I hate it sometimes that I have to wait 3 years to enter most any community, but I figure extra time to grow and discern can't really hurt. Nice to meet you.

Welcome to phatmass!!!

While Canon law will require a wait (1 or 2 years if memory serves me correctly) prior to you entering religious life, I know that many communities will still be more than happy to have you make a retreat with them so that you can come to know what religious life is all about.

God bless you and your journey!

father's heart

[quote name='salveregina10' timestamp='1350146231' post='2493085']
Hi Abbie, wow, thank you for sharing your story! That brings back many memories for me. I too discovered Religious life as a Protestant, converted and kept on the winding path of discernment. I know it is not easy, but the blessing is we are never alone, our Lord walks with us and is always present. What helped me most in my discernment was going to daily Mass, praying in Adoration, going to Confession and having an amazing spiritual director. It was amesome that he lived in community and I had a chance to hang out with the friars. They even adopted kittens named Juanito and Teresa for St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila. Yes, for all you Carmelite lovers, they were members of the Discalced Carmelites of the Washington Province. :saint2:
Any experiences you can have with the Church and other Religious will only help you. I visited many communities during my discernment and stayed the course despite many misunderstandings and obstacles with family and friends. At the end of the day, I can't live my life for anyone but the Lord, and I knew He was calling me to this life no matter the cost.
My only advice or encouragement would be, don't be afraid!! Ask questions, try things on to see if it speaks to you with a sense of peace & joy and realize nothing is permanent on day one. The Church in Her wisdom gives us time in formation to find our way with the help of our community. So, know you're in my prayers and please let me know if I can be of help in any way! Hang in there, it is totally worth it, I love being a Sister and learn so much from formation each day. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I greet it with gratitude and faith that the Lord who called me will never dissapoint me in my hope. Blessings to you!
[/quote]

Thank you so much Sister :) So encouraging. I definitely need those prayers, much appreciated! I will totally spend as much time as possible with Religious and with, of course, dear, sweet, amazing Jesus in adoration and prayer. Bless you for the advice and personal experience you've shared with me.

father's heart

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350144440' post='2493080']
Welcome to Phatmass! :wave: I hope you stick around and have a good time here.

It is great to hear that you were confirmed into the Church and that you are discerning. I'm sure your retreat will be great and that you will learn a lot from it. If you don't mind telling us, what Community is it?

I'd tell you my discernment story, but you or others may feel uncomfortable with it so I won't post it here. If you want me to message you I gladly will. I love telling my conversion story.
[/quote]

Hey, I hope to learn a lot and get a sense of the lifestyle at the retreat for sure. It's the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Harbor that I'm visiting. Please do message me with your conversion story, I'd love to hear it! :)