An Old School Catholic Message Board

Myth And Reality Of "i'll Die In My Bed" By Cardinal Georg

Lil Red

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed

Here's the salient section from the Cardinal's column.

"Speaking a few years ago to a group of priests, entirely outside of the current political debate, I was trying to express in overly dramatic fashion what the complete secularization of our society could bring," writes the Cardinal. "I was responding to a question and I never wrote down what I said, but the words were captured on somebody’s smart phone and have now gone viral on Wikipedia and elsewhere in the electronic communications world. I am (correctly) quoted as saying that I expected to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. What is omitted from the reports is a final phrase I added about the bishop who follows a possibly martyred bishop: 'His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.' What I said is not 'prophetic' but a way to force people to think outside of the usual categories that limit and sometimes poison both private and public discourse."

So, as a corrective, for all those writers and speakers out there desirous of using the quote, when used it should be used in its entirety.

[b]"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."[/b]

The Cardinal's entire column is well worth reading. [url="http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed"]Read it here.[/url]

I like the addendum. I do not think it changes the content of the first half- I think most people probably assumed that it was implied already.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351191310' post='2497623']
I like the addendum. I do not think it changes the content of the first half- I think most people probably assumed that it was implied already.
[/quote]
Not the rector of the church (which, for the record is Catholic) that I used to play at. He used it to justify his theory that we're in the start of the end times.

Emphasis on [i]used to play at[/i].

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1351191604' post='2497627']
Not the rector of the church (which, for the record is Catholic) that I used to play at. He used it to justify his theory that we're in the start of the end times.

Emphasis on [i]used to play at[/i].
[/quote]
Was he Kafka? :|

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1351190772' post='2497610']
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed

"Speaking a few years ago to a group of priests, entirely outside of the current political debate, I was trying to express in overly dramatic fashion what the complete secularization of our society could bring," writes the Cardinal. "I was responding to a question and I never wrote down what I said, but the words were captured on somebody’s smart phone and have now gone viral on Wikipedia and elsewhere in the electronic communications world. I am (correctly) quoted as saying that I expected to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. What is omitted from the reports is a final phrase I added about the bishop who follows a possibly martyred bishop: 'His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.' What I said is not 'prophetic' but a way to force people to think outside of the usual categories that limit and sometimes poison both private and public discourse."

So, as a corrective, for all those writers and speakers out there desirous of using the quote, when used it should be used in its entirety.

[b]"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."[/b]

The Cardinal's entire column is well worth reading. [url="http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed"]Read it here.[/url]
[/quote]
:like:

I've declared that "This is the house I want to die in". Unfortunately it belongs to some friends of mine and they were a bit unsettled at my declaration

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351191310' post='2497623']
[/quote]

That's what I assumed, well pretty close. Nations that murder millions of babies can rationalize murdering a bishop in the street. It's not hard to see that day coming soon. Even if soon is 50 yrs or 100 plus years. And we may well be in the opening of 'the end times', of course we may not be, we don't know. But again with so many nations murdering so many of their young its hard to see why God would wait a long time to bring down his wrath. Still we don't know but the more this wickedness continues it's difficult to see the end coming much later rather than sooner.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1351190772' post='2497610']
[url="http://www.ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed"]http://www.ncregiste...l-die-in-my-bed[/url]

[/quote]

:like:
I'm quite glad for this clarification. I've seen so many people use the quote to fearmonger...when there are people actually dying for the faith in other countries. His point isn't that everyone's going to start killing the Catholics - his point's that even if they do, the Church will still be here to pick up the pieces. Much more powerful message, methinks. :)

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1351195687' post='2497650']
I've declared that "This is the house I want to die in". Unfortunately it belongs to some friends of mine and they were a bit unsettled at my declaration
[/quote]
I wish props were back, just so I could prop this.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I first read Cardinal George's comment that his successor will go to prison to mean that his successor would be indicted for a crime, instead of what I think Cardinal George meant, that is, that Catholicism (or perhaps Christian faith in general) would become a crime in the future. Living in Chicago has warped my brain--an awful lot of our politicians seem to go to jail.......