An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men In Habits Picture Thread #2

PhuturePriest

Maybe.  I also wondered if it is Benedictine of some sort (which includes Trappist, for that matter) because of the cut of the habit.  I will admit to being curious!

Here it is again, for reference....

220px-Trappist_praying_2007-08-20_dti.jp

I agree with FP -- no Franciscan cord.  Cut of habit and cincture OVER scapular are more Benedictine.   But I can't find any grey Benedictines!   'tis a puzzlement!   I think you are probably right about a work habit......  but does anyone else have ideas?

Edited by AnneLine

I might have another idea for what it could be... could it be a view of a Camaldolese Benedictine hermits... from the rear?   Here are two of them visiting some Carmelite hermits... and especially the one on the left.... it sure looks like the same habit.  Most of the pictures of Camaldolese hermits show them in their choir robes, but hmmm... it certainly could be the same.

And no matter what... they are Men in Habits!

09pics%20009.jpg

Maybe.  I also wondered if it is Benedictine of some sort (which includes Trappist, for that matter) because of the cut of the habit.  I will admit to being curious!

Here it is again, for reference....

220px-Trappist_praying_2007-08-20_dti.jp

I agree with FP -- no Franciscan cord.  Cut of habit and cincture OVER scapular are more Benedictine.   But I can't find any grey Benedictines!   'tis a puzzlement!   I think you are probably right about a work habit......  but does anyone else have ideas?

Not that I consider it a good source but this photo and another of a man in the same habit are used on this page.

However, both photos originated with Wikipedia and this page on Mariawald Abbey in Germany.

Lumiere,

I think you've got the right place - Mariawald.  I think this habit in the picture is either that of a novice or the monk has taken his scapular off - I'm leaning towards the former.  See here:http://www.kloster-mariawald.de/view.php?nid=175&page=1&execute=img_zoom.php&tobj_id=1024

If you click on the photos on Wikipedia page it says the monk is a novice in German.

Lumiere, thank you... I can't read the German.

That's what I was wondering as well... or if he could have been a postulant.  I know in some of the Benedictine communities they get the robe (but not other parts of the habit) during that period.  So you probably have it right!

Thank yoU!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a wonderful series of photos showing the life of Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight (southern England) in 1982. Fascinating!

http://vimeo.com/51445552

Carthusian Monk at Prayer in Cell:
[attachment=3236:image.jpg]
Still from the Philip Gröning film Into Great Silence (2006)

The habit is made of undyed rough wool, and the one you would least likely see in person, unless you happen to be an immediate family member of a Carthusian choir monk.

(If I'm wrong about any of the above, please feel free to correct me.)

Mary+Immaculate<3

Carthusian Monk at Prayer in Cell:
image.jpg
Still from the Philip Gröning film Into Great Silence (2006)

The habit is made of undyed rough wool, and the one you would least likely see in person, unless you happen to be an immediate family member of a Carthusian choir monk.

(If I'm wrong about any of the above, please feel free to correct me.)

That movie was terribly hard to watch for me but nonetheless very beneficial and spiritually did me good.

An Historian

There's just something about the Passionists.  I think it's the impending sense that they'll beat the Devil out of you if you need it.  :hehe2:

h9dc.jpg

1nog.jpg