An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contemplation Through Faith, Not Imagination

BarbTherese

The contents of the quote box below landed in my Inbox. Thought it worth posting. Times past, I could take my Baptism for granted, something that came to me through the goodness of my parents. And in part, it did, in that they were God's good stewards of His Gifts to them. His Gift of Faith to them, and of children in their marriage. Primarily, however, time and experience, growth, taught me that the gift of Faith in Baptism is "a light directly infused" by God into my intellect - as with all the faithful Baptized. I dont believe in all The Church teaches for primarily any other reason than that God has gifted me to so believe, as with all the faithful Baptized.
Understanding of my Catholic Faith has changed and grown over the years and often through, for one, Catholic Discussion Sites such as Phatmass - and this change and growth is God's Grace, not solely nor primarily my own effort anywhere at all. However, free will always has its part to play, inspired and strenthened, guided, by Grace to which the person need respond - choose to respond. The Holy Spirit is absolutely never idle anywhere whatsoever. Praise and thanksgiving to God always.
I am led to means of growth (including Phatmass) by The Holy Spirit. I am gifted/granted/led to insight into some things posted by The Holy Spirit and this has brought about change in me in a positive direction. Gift of The Holy Spirit. Grace. The Lord.

[quote]It is faith and not imagination that gives us supernatural life, faith that justifies us, faith that leads us to contemplation.
[size=2]Thomas Merton. [i]New Seeds of Contemplation.[/i] (New York: New Directions Books) P 154[/size]

[b]Thought for the Day:[/b] Faith reaches the intellect not simply through the senses but in a light directly infused by God.[/quote]

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Personally i think Romans 12:1-2 is a great example of this. Not only do we willingly offer ourselves as a 'willing sacrafice" to God, but in that sacrafice we are renewed by the Holy Spirit. This being a willing action changes us, or as verse 2 says, renews us, and we then desire to do God will rather then our own. When we do this we can see or come to see the direction God has for our lives. God bless you Sister, keep pushing for God and being renewed by the Holy Spirit daily.

[quote name='Brenno' timestamp='1351812390' post='2502343']
Personally i think Romans 12:1-2 is a great example of this. Not only do we willingly offer ourselves as a 'willing sacrafice" to God, but in that sacrafice we are renewed by the Holy Spirit. This being a willing action changes us, or as verse 2 says, renews us, and we then desire to do God will rather then our own. When we do this we can see or come to see the direction God has for our lives. God bless you Sister, keep pushing for God and being renewed by the Holy Spirit daily.
[/quote]

I thought that your reference, Romans 12:1-2, was worth quoting - and thank you for the reference and very apt - along with your quite profound comments and well worth thinking about:
[quote]

[url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=52&ch=12&l=1#x"][1][/url] I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service. [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=52&ch=12&l=2#x"][2][/url] And be not conformed to this world; but be reformed in the newness of your mind, that you may prove what is the good, and the acceptable, and the perfect will of God. [/quote]

The whole Chapter, which is quite short, is worth the read - and is a whole rule of life.
[url="http://www.drbo.org/chapter/52012.htm"]http://www.drbo.org/chapter/52012.htm[/url]

May The Lord bless you also, brother Brenno - with us all.

PS I am not in religious life, just in case you thought I might be. :) I wasn't sure.