An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nanowrimo

Not The Philosopher

Not The Philosopher

I did this once three years back. Now that I'm no longer in school I thought I'd give it a whack. Anyone else done/doing this?

Spem in alium

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1351648825' post='2500813']
I did it informally once.
[/quote]

Me too. It was great!

Spem in alium

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1351648825' post='2500813']
I did it informally once.
[/quote]

Me too. It was great!

I love writing, but I don't feel like I have to hone that skill in a particular way, so instead I am drawing a picture every day. :)

I've won about 4 years, participated since 2006 or so. Dunno if I can this year or not. I have an outline, but I'm hideously busy.

Not The Philosopher

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1351657828' post='2500945']
I love writing, but I don't feel like I have to hone that skill in a particular way, so instead I am drawing a picture every day. :)
[/quote]

I think I'm a decent writer. Fiction isn't my forte, though and I have more trouble finding the motivation for a short story than for, say, a rant on my blog. But mainly I feel the need for something with a deadline attached to it right now. I could use some more focus.

Not The Philosopher

National Novel Writing Month. In spite of the name, it's an international thing these days. The gist of it is to crank out a 50,000 word novel over the course of November. You 'win' by hitting the word count. It's basically a way to force yourself to cough up a rough draft of something and worry about the editing later. Local chapters host social events, write-ins etc. Official site [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/"]here[/url].

Edited by Not The Philosopher

I heard about this just two days ago. I had never heard of it before! And now it comes up on Phatmass too.
Hmm, coincidence?

However, I can [u]not[/u] write at all quickly, even if I were to try! I wouldn't mind reading other people's stuff, though!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Not The Philosopher' timestamp='1351799895' post='2502140']
What might you be writing on, if you don't mind my asking?
[/quote]

A prequel to a novel i was trying to write over the summer. It covers the story of a young boy who is in the midst of a war against people like him (I made him a druid originally but I may change that). The men and women on the other side of the war have found a secret weapon that enables them to take out entire villages of people, the weapon is a cursed boy.

It is a very intenst and complex story, but the prequel is me just winging it... I may not even include half of what I have thought up.

Not The Philosopher

[quote name='Chrysophylax' timestamp='1351832600' post='2502730']
I heard about this just two days ago. I had never heard of it before! And now it comes up on Phatmass too.
Hmm, coincidence?

However, I can [u]not[/u] write at all quickly, even if I were to try! I wouldn't mind reading other people's stuff, though!
[/quote]

Yeah, at times you really have to shut down all your internal criticism and keep writing even when it's obvious that you don't know what you're doing if you want to hit 50, 000.

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1351873821' post='2502973']

A prequel to a novel i was trying to write over the summer. It covers the story of a young boy who is in the midst of a war against people like him (I made him a druid originally but I may change that). The men and women on the other side of the war have found a secret weapon that enables them to take out entire villages of people, the weapon is a cursed boy.

It is a very intenst and complex story, but the prequel is me just winging it... I may not even include half of what I have thought up.
[/quote]

Just don't get your continuity all snarled up!