An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Is More Meritorious

Cherie

Which is more meritorious: going to Mass, but not receiving the Holy Eucharist, or attending a Communion service, but therein receiving Our Lord? Assume all the necessary things are present: correct disposition, attention, etc. I'm asking in terms of all other things being equal.

Hmmm. I dunno. I would say going to Mass even if you don't receive, because of the graces present at Mass that wouldn't be present at a Communion service

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1351827673' post='2502634']
Which is more meritorious: going to Mass, but not receiving the Holy Eucharist, or attending a Communion service, but therein receiving Our Lord? Assume all the necessary things are present: correct disposition, attention, etc. I'm asking in terms of all other things being equal.
[/quote]
Is it a holy day of obligation?

I'd say Mass is more meritorious anyways because the Mass is the greater prayer and the full participation in the sacrifice on the Cross, though I don't know if that extends to graces received through the Sacrament. I believe the graces of the Mass are greater overall, but individually are greater when receiving Holy Communion.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1351830011' post='2502692']
Is it a holy day of obligation?

I'd say Mass is more meritorious anyways because the Mass is the greater prayer and the full participation in the sacrifice on the Cross, though I don't know if that extends to graces received through the Sacrament. I believe the graces of the Mass are greater overall, but individually are greater when receiving Holy Communion.
[/quote]

so, basically what i said except with more flowery words. :P (I kid, I kid)

I'm curious as to the context of the question, or if it's being asked in a vacuum. I'm not sure I can envision this ever coming up, because if you're in a state of grace that you could receive at the communion service, then you'd also be in a state of grace to be able to receive at the Mass. and it is obviously better to receive communion at Holy Mass than it is to do so in a communion service, if you can help it. I suppose the scenario would have to include a mass somewhere that wasn't distributing communion to the faithful vs. a communion service; I find it incredibly unlikely one would ever be within traveling distance of two such scenarios.

the comparison of not receiving communion at Holy Mass vs. receiving communion at a communion service; I'm not sure there is a proper answer to that... receiving the sacrament would have to win out, I would suppose, on an individual level; whereas the Holy Mass itself is objectively the more grace-filled moment, considering that even the communion you received at the communion service was consecrated at Holy Mass.

It was a theoretical situation my husband and I discussed to further conceptualize and understand the merits of Holy Mass vs. Holy Communion.

Thanks! :)