An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Of The Renewal

LLFrances

Has anyone visited, spoken with, or happened upon information of the Franciscan Sisters of The Renewal? They seem like a very jovial group of Sisters, but I can't find much info on them. Thank you very much in advance! :)

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='LLFrances' timestamp='1351877703' post='2503006']
Has anyone visited, spoken with, or happened upon information of the Franciscan Sisters of The Renewal? They seem like a very jovial group of Sisters, but I can't find much info on them. Thank you very much in advance! :)
[/quote] Ok, you have absolutely no idea how much I am in love with these sisters!!!! Here's their web site: www.franciscansisterscfr.com
In short, they work with inner city poor people, run soup kitchens, daycare, homeless shelters, things like that. Obviously, their spirituality is Franciscan :love:
They are an epic order :dance:

[quote name='LLFrances' timestamp='1351877703' post='2503006']
[/quote]

I've been on a Vocation Retreat with them in January 2010. Loved every minute of it and wanted to be called there so bad, but God has other plans. What do you want to know? :)

I suppose just general things about them! I couldn't find on their website what their apostolate is specifically, maybe I just failed to find it... I also love very traditional orders, so I was curious as to what their liturgy was like. I would LOVE to visit them, but unfortunately live way too far away to pop by :/

[quote name='LLFrances' timestamp='1351896497' post='2503145']
I suppose just general things about them! I couldn't find on their website what their apostolate is specifically, maybe I just failed to find it... I also love very traditional orders, so I was curious as to what their liturgy was like. I would LOVE to visit them, but unfortunately live way too far away to pop by :/
[/quote]

Their apostolate is mainly working with the poor and the youth. The Sisters run two food pantries and one soup kitchen. When I visited back in January 2010, I worked with the Sisters on Saturday in the soup kitchen at Our Lady Queen of Angels convent. That same evening, we drove with Sr. Joseph to Youth 2000 in West Chester, NY. They also help out the friars with their apostolates. Sr. Francis explained to me that they have to be flexible because what they do could change from one day to the next. That's why they don't put their apostolate on the website. Some of the Sisters even taught CCD one year.

As far as liturgy goes, they are VERY reverent. They do not celebrate the Latin Mass, but their Mass is one of my favorites. I've had the opportunity, both in the convent and at retreats, to witness them celebrate Mass several times. At the convent, one of the Friars came, except for the first day I was there because I came early so we went to a Church in Spanish Harlem -- St. Cecilia's. The Mass was completely in Spanish so I didn't understand any of it. We also prayed the Rosary in Spanish and then walked back to the convent. I was told they do this a few times a month to interact with the community.

If you are able, I highly recommend that you attend one of their vocation retreats. You will not regret it. I discovered I wasn't called there even though I love them very much, but I don't regret that retreat for one minute. You will be immersed in the daily life of the convent and get to visit the other convents around town. It's a lot of fun! They don't usually have retreats in December due to Advent and Christmas so you'll have to wait until after Epiphany. :)

StClare_OraProNobis

Sr. Mary Pieta is the new vocation directress. It would be good to contact her with any questions you have specifically! She is lovely and would be nice to talk to! Her number is on the website!

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='StClare_OraProNobis' timestamp='1351948704' post='2503432']
Sr. Mary Pieta is the new vocation directress. It would be good to contact her with any questions you have specifically! She is lovely and would be nice to talk to! Her number is on the website!
[/quote]

Really?? I didn't know Sr. Francis wasn't it anymore. That's crazy.

But they are a super great order. I really enjoy spending time with them even though I am not called to be with them. I love Sr. Clare, she is a living saint. I did a walking pilgrimage with her 3 times now. I have learned so much from her. She is a rock.

I was going to write them (I'm not much of a phone talker...), but, with the hurricane and everything, I didn't know what was going on with them. Thank you everyone for your info! :)

To Jesus Through Mary

Yeah- Probably not too much affected by Sandy. The Bronx wasn't affected all that much. But that's great you are going to write them!! :)

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1351992716' post='2503659']
Yeah- Probably not too much affected by Sandy. The Bronx wasn't affected all that much. But that's great you are going to write them!! :)
[/quote]
Do you know if their home in Harlem was effected much? I know a couple of the sisters there :love:

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1351996631' post='2503678']
Do you know if their home in Harlem was effected much? I know a couple of the sisters there :love:
[/quote]

Well I don't know specifically about them (their Harlem house though is right next to my sisters provincial house!) but Harlem wasn't effected all that much either. It was mainly lower Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn and Queens (that are by the water), and most of all Staten Island. This is just NYC of course. Jersey Shore was devastated. As well as parts of DE and CT. Plus flooding all around the surrounding states.

• 1 year later...

Their apostolate is mainly working with the poor and the youth. The Sisters run two food pantries and one soup kitchen. When I visited back in January 2010, I worked with the Sisters on Saturday in the soup kitchen at Our Lady Queen of Angels convent. That same evening, we drove with Sr. Joseph to Youth 2000 in West Chester, NY. They also help out the friars with their apostolates. Sr. Francis explained to me that they have to be flexible because what they do could change from one day to the next. That's why they don't put their apostolate on the website. Some of the Sisters even taught CCD one year.

As far as liturgy goes, they are VERY reverent. They do not celebrate the Latin Mass, but their Mass is one of my favorites. I've had the opportunity, both in the convent and at retreats, to witness them celebrate Mass several times. At the convent, one of the Friars came, except for the first day I was there because I came early so we went to a Church in Spanish Harlem -- St. Cecilia's. The Mass was completely in Spanish so I didn't understand any of it. We also prayed the Rosary in Spanish and then walked back to the convent. I was told they do this a few times a month to interact with the community.

If you are able, I highly recommend that you attend one of their vocation retreats. You will not regret it. I discovered I wasn't called there even though I love them very much, but I don't regret that retreat for one minute. You will be immersed in the daily life of the convent and get to visit the other convents around town. It's a lot of fun! They don't usually have retreats in December due to Advent and Christmas so you'll have to wait until after Epiphany. :)

Hello,

When are the vocation retreats normally held? I'm from Hong Kong so the US is extremely far and hence I have to plan far ahead (if that's God's will*:)) Thank you so much!

Hello,

When are the vocation retreats normally held? I'm from Hong Kong so the US is extremely far and hence I have to plan far ahead (if that's God's will* :)) Thank you so much!

When I attended, they were held pretty much every month except December (because of Advent).  I went in January 2010.  I would recommend that you call Sr. Mary Pieta, the Vocation Director for the order.  She is super friendly and helpful.  :)

When I attended, they were held pretty much every month except December (because of Advent).  I went in January 2010.  I would recommend that you call Sr. Mary Pieta, the Vocation Director for the order.  She is super friendly and helpful.  :)

Thank you so much!! Sorry I'm very new to Phatmass and didn't exactly know how this operated but now I know :) 

If you want to meet them, then try going to Catholic events like Youth 2000! I saw them there in Euston yesterday! They are quite active in the Evangelisation area, or you could contact them up in Leeds or the US, depending on where you are. They are a lovely congregation. I know the friars as well in Canning Town - they have a soup kitchen there too. There are lots of ways to get involved. You could write to them in Leeds - I have the address if anyone needs it, pm me - or ring them.

God Bless and Happy New Year 2014!

Kim