An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling People Liars

kujo

So this pertains to some of the threads on the Debate Table, but it's not a debate, so I'll put it here.

Is it cool to just call people with whom you disagree liars, and accuse them of trying to deceive people for political purposes?

And on a somewhat related note, could a webpage's administrator be banned from his/her own page for breaking the charity rule, repeatedly, over the last week or two?

Just wonderin'.

People aren't perfect and passion often colors how we say things. Just because something seems to be a lie, didn't make it so.

When people call Romney a liar when he says he's not pro-abortion and don't call Obama a liar when he calls Romney anti-abortion, doesn't make me think there's a bias.

dUSt can do what he wants. I consider how's he's run the site over the last ten plus years. I don't agree with everything and I've only been banned a few times, but he lets me back. I see many other who have done worse than dUSt and I (and they) seem to get away with it. It does seem complaints on charity are directly related to wether or not you agree with or like the posters. I guess we're stuck with imperfection, but it seems consistent.

Edited by Anomaly

Yeah, I don't think it's generally a good idea to accuse someone of outright lying in a debate, I think one should always presume that the other person is just outright wrong or dense or stupid (though don't call them stupid lol) and refute their inaccuracies from there. It's just better form that way.

But no, you shouldn't really be banned or necessarily warned just for accusing something of being a lie. I think it's incredibly bad form as it presumes intentions that you cannot know and usually just escalates emotions. in something like a presidential debate between candidates themselves it is likely that things that look like lies are indeed intentional deceptions because they've got self interest and a whole political machine behind them strategizing about what they should do and say; but in something like debates among the lowly supporters of various sides, things that look like deceptions are much more likely to be biased understandings than they are to be intentionally deceptive.

[b]lie -[/b]
1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression;
3. an inaccurate or false statement.

I never used the word lie in a debate that I did not think fit the exact definition above. I'm sorry if you mistake my directness as a lack of charity. With only days until the election I don't have time to pansy around or split hairs.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352037149' post='2503840']
And on a somewhat related note, could a webpage's administrator be banned from his/her own page for breaking the charity rule, repeatedly, over the last week or two?
[/quote]
No, I can't.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1352047898' post='2503880']
With only days until the election I don't have time to pansy around and split hairs.
[/quote]

So it's the sense that time is running out that is to blame for what I have evidently misconstrued as jerky behavior? We can expect a reversion to the happy go lucky dUst on Wednesday morning, or will this continue for the next 4 years when Obama wins?

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1352048021' post='2503882']
No, I can't.
[/quote]

Good to know :)

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352048160' post='2503884']
So it's the sense that time is running out that is to blame for what I have evidently misconstrued as jerky behavior? We can expect a reversion to the happy go lucky dUst on Wednesday morning, or will this continue for the next 4 years when Obama wins?
[/quote]
You misjudge me.

I've been jerky since I started this place. I'm a jerk in real life and even more so online where I don't have to face people.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1352048455' post='2503887']
You misjudge me.

I've been jerky since I started this place. I'm a jerk in real life and even more so online where I don't have to face people.
[/quote]

I judge you not.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1352048455' post='2503887']

[/quote]

When you're right, you're right.

HisChildForever

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1352037149' post='2503840']
for breaking the charity rule
[/quote]

Is this an actual forum rule or just a common courtesy rule - I'm looking for the forum rules now and I can't find them smh

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1352051290' post='2503913']

Is this an actual forum rule or just a common courtesy rule - I'm looking for the forum rules now and I can't find them smh
[/quote]
Probably relevant for you, eh? :|

;)

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352052757' post='2503939']
Probably relevant for you, eh? :|

;)
[/quote]

I've been behaving myself.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1352051290' post='2503913']

[/quote]
bottom of the page

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules[/url]

HisChildForever

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1352052894' post='2503945']
bottom of the page

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]http://www.phatmass....tion=boardrules[/url]
[/quote]

Thank yew