An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Often Should We Go To Confession?

Annie12

Ash Wednesday

A good spiritual director or priest that is your regular confessor is recommended for scrupulants, they can help you with the matter of regular confession, and decide when or how often is prudent and most beneficial for you. It varies with the individual.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1352151769' post='2504698']
A good spiritual director or priest that is your regular confessor is recommended for scrupulants, they can help you with the matter of regular confession, and decide when or how often is prudent and most beneficial for you. It varies with the individual.
[/quote]

Ash Wednesday is so correct on this -- if you are scrupulous then (a) a regular confessor is most needed and (b) the decision as to when to go to confession needs to be decided with the help of a s.d. or a confessor.

My comment was made with the assumption that the person is not scrupulous.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1352079770' post='2504205']
I was just wondering because I know that we need to go when we are in mortal sin, but besides that, when should we go? Is it possible to go too often. I don't want to be scrupulous. Thanks!
[/quote]

My preferred amount of time is every month. Lately, because of the fact that I don't have my own car anymore, I've been making Confession about every 1.5 to 2 months. If you have scruples, it is best to have a spiritual director who can act as your regular confessor. That way, they know you and can assist you according to your needs.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

In his encyclical [i][url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_29061943_mystici-corporis-christi_en.html"]Mystici Corporis[/url][/i], Pope Pius XII wrote about the benefits of frequent confession. He outlines eight in particular (see Mystici Corporis, 88):

[list=1]
[*]genuine self-knowledge is increased
[*]Christian humility grows
[*]bad habits are corrected
[*]spiritual neglect and tepidity (lukewarmness) are resisted
[*]the conscience is purified
[*]the will strengthened
[*]a salutary self-control is attained
[*]and grace is increased in virtue of the Sacrament itself.
[/list]
Every sacrament gives grace, which is a share in the life of God. Ultimately, our spiritual life depends on grace penetrating the soul, elevating and purifying our nature so that we can love God with all our heart and soul and mind and strength. Frequent, regular confession is a great help to the soul, as long as the confession doesn't become a matter of mechanical routine or scruples.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I try to go every two weeks as a commitment. I start to become an emotional wreck if I don't (like it's not already bad enough, lol). Often, I'll go twice in one week, though, if I go to the EFM on Sundays where they have Confession before Mass.

When I was younger, I tried to go once a month. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Now that we are at a different parish and I'm older, I go much more often.