An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need A Declamation

the171

OK, check out the links on the American Rhetoric site [url="http://www.americanrhetoric.com/index.htm"]http://www.americanrhetoric.com/index.htm[/url] -- they have some from plain speeches as well as plays.... and lots of interesting ones from all sorts of sources and time periods...

Edited by AnneLine

How about Benjamin Franklins speech to the convention of delagates to form the Constitution on the day before the actaul signing?

ed

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

A portion from Humane Vitea, or a selection from on of JPII audiences for Theology of the Body???

Humane Vitae isn't a speech. I can't do anything to charged, either. Theology of the Body won't work. Once again, too charged for a secular tournament.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1352335323' post='2506215']
Does the Sermon on the Mount count as a speech? :nun:

In all seriousness though, this one by George VI is pretty cool:

[b]In this grave hour, perhaps the most fateful in our history, I send to every household of my peoples, both at home and overseas, this message, spoken with the same depth of feeling for each one of you as if I were able to cross your threshold and speak to you myself.

For the second time in the lives of most of us, we are at war.

Over and over again, we have tried to find a peaceful way out of the differences between ourselves and those who are now our enemies; but it has been in vain.

We have been forced into a conflict, for we are called, with our allies, to meet the challenge of a principle which, if it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilized order in the world.

It is a principle which permits a state, in the selfish pursuit of power, to disregard its treaties and its solemn pledges, which sanctions the use of force or threat of force against the sovereignty and independence of other states.

Such a principle, stripped of all disguise, is surely the mere primitive doctrine that might is right, and if this principle were established through the world, the freedom of our own country and of the whole British Commonwealth of nations would be in danger.

But far more than this, the peoples of the world would be kept in bondage of fear, and all hopes of settled peace and of the security, of justice and liberty, among nations, would be ended.

This is the ultimate issue which confronts us. For the sake of all that we ourselves hold dear, and of the world order and peace, it is unthinkable that we should refuse to meet the challenge.

It is to this high purpose that I now call my people at home, and my peoples across the seas, who will make our cause their own.

I ask them to stand calm and firm and united in this time of trial.

The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead, and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield, but we can only do the right as we see the right, and reverently commit our cause to God. If one and all we keep resolutely faithful to it, ready for whatever service or sacrifice it may demand, then with God's help, we shall prevail.

May He bless and keep us all.[/b]

If you listen to it as read by King George VI, it runs about 5.44 minutes
[/quote]

I love King George VI a lot. Very cool guy.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

This is too short by itself, but the topic itself could make a good one if you can find another speech that is longer:

http://fariz.blogsome.com/2008/01/28/impact-of-technology-a-short-speech/

Good inspirational one:

http://www.sweetspeeches.com/s/442-charity-tillemann-dick-singing-after-a-double-lung-transplant

I can find some more if you want, but there are a lot of speeches on the last link. I based my first couple suggestions on the fact you are doing Declamation and it is an event started by the National Catholic Forensics League, and only a few NFL divisions offer it. So naturally this being PM I thought you were in Catholic Tournaments.

I have been a participant in Debate, Forensics, and been known to judge a few rounds of each between my deployments and such. Don't forget that charged can be memorable as long as you interpret and approach it in the right way. Don't be afraid to challenge people or be to PC. You aren't doing an funny after dinner speech, you are bringing life to another persons message. Passion to the problem idea they are addressing.

Well, off my soapbox....hope this helps.

Edited by PadrePioOfPietrelcino

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352434774' post='2506910']

I love King George VI a lot. Very cool guy.
[/quote]

The King's Speech is one of my favorite movies. I had to write a huge paper on a speech last semester and picked this one because it was so inspiring. What makes it even better is that George VI didn't go out to the country to survive the war--his home was almost bombed, his wife worked in the war effort, etc. He spoke the truth!

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Edward the VIII is a relative of mine thru his marriage to Wallis Simpson...oh family trees can be so fun.

I too like the Kings Speech

:hijack: