An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Is A Font Created?

Lil Red

Question for graphic designers...how do you create a font? could you theoritically take an example of someone's handwriting and turn it into a font?

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1352324850' post='2506015']
Question for graphic designers...how do you create a font? could you theoritically take an example of someone's handwriting and turn it into a font?
[/quote]

Well, that depends on how you mean "create a font."

I am assuming you mean a computer font, in which case what we're talking about is just a formatting thing. The individual characters are stored either as several sizes of pixelated glyphs (not as common) or as a collection of vector art bits which can be more easily resized and manipulated and rendered at any resolution. (more common)

Basically the artist designs each character and they are formatted in a particular way and stored all together in a simple machine readable font file. Most fonts are done in imitation of type sets, with individual glyphs which are always the same, so a "w" would always be exactly the same. Handwriting (cursive especially) is considerably more difficult to replicate in a believable fashion with normal computer fonts because the formats are designed to mimic type and so expect standard glyphs.

A more likely solution for reproducing handwriting would be to create an algorithm which can characterize and recreate a human's handwriting somehow, but this wouldn't be something you'd just drop into Microsoft Word to make cool handwriting fonts per se.

There are all kinds of online generators that allow you to make your own font from your handwriting. When I taught computers at our school that was one of the first projects of the year. I think the program is called "Font Capture"

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1352327156' post='2506072']
There are all kinds of online generators that allow you to make your own font from your handwriting. When I taught computers at our school that was one of the first projects of the year. I think the program is called "Font Capture"
[/quote]

that's the thing, it isn't my handwriting, but my mom's. for my new tattoo, i wanted the writing for the words to be in her "font".

I wonder if you could copy the sample handwriting you have so you can "cut" it up and scan it in for one of these programs...basically you take a sheet that you print off and put one letter in each box, scan it into the computer and it automatically creates the font.

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1352327466' post='2506079']
I wonder if you could copy the sample handwriting you have so you can "cut" it up and scan it in for one of these programs...basically you take a sheet that you print off and put one letter in each box, scan it into the computer and it automatically creates the font.
[/quote]

Now that's an interesting concept. I can't imagine it's very believable, but maybe...

If you're doing work for a tatoo maybe the best thing to do is to have someone examine lots of pieces of your mom's handwriting and basically replicate it by hand. Maybe?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1352327211' post='2506074']

that's the thing, it isn't my handwriting, but my mom's. for my new tattoo, i wanted the writing for the words to be in her "font".
[/quote]

Show the artist the writing and he (or she) will take it from there. It's probably easier if what you're getting tattooed is something she actually wrote. A good friend of mine had a tattoo done, a quote her sister had written. The artist was able to transfer the quote/handwriting to my friend's skin (with whatever technique they use) and essentially tattooed over it.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1352328435' post='2506100']

Show the artist the writing and he (or she) will take it from there. It's probably easier if what you're getting tattooed is something she actually wrote. A good friend of mine had a tattoo done, a quote her sister had written. The artist was able to transfer the quote/handwriting to my friend's skin (with whatever technique they use) and essentially tattooed over it.
[/quote]

that would be a good idea, except this is a Biblical quote from her funeral. But thanks for the tip! :)

Lil Red. when the Daddy font and the Mommy font love each other very much and are open to font creation as per God's plan .....

ed

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352324910' post='2506016']
Well, when a mommy font and a daddy font really love each other...
[/quote]
[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1352329034' post='2506113']
Lil Red. when the Daddy font and the Mommy font love each other very much and are open to font creation as per God's plan .....

ed
[/quote]
Ed -
Nihil beat you to it.

KnightofChrist

Sounds like you don't need to make a font. You only need her handwritten characters used in the quote.

If I were you I'd scan in her characters, one at a time if need be, then ask me to trace each character in Illustrator, then arrange them to form the quote and I'd email you a pdf copy.