An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gas Cap Question

BG45

This morning I filled my car with gas and went to tighten my gas cap. It tightened a bit, but now won't tighten or loosen and come off. Anyone have any solutions I can do my best to attempt without having to try to get a garage appointment before I leave for Chicago at 3am on Tuesday?

Thanks all!

Edit: This isn't a model of cap with a lock on it.

Edited by BG45

I've had that happen once or twice. I've had to push the cap inwards (i.e. with the palm of my hand) to get it to realign. It may be off-aligned.

At least your car is full of gas :)

GeorgiiMichael

cmariadiaz seems to have the best solution (not that dUSt's wouldn't work...) It sounds to me like the threads are crossed a bit.

If it's really really stuck and you can't get it off with pliers or your hand, I'd take a chisel and a hammer and [b]lightly [/b]tap the threaded part of the cap until you can break something off or put a small crack in the plastic. If you crack the rim of the gas cap, the crack should loosen the cap to allow you to twist it off. You will want to be that none of the plastic from the cap goes into the gas tank. You'll also want to be [b]really careful [/b]that you only damage the plastic and not the metal threads underneath the plastic. Re-threading the car frame for the gas cap would be expensive. [b]This is obviously a more redneck DIY method of solving the problem, and those always have some level of risk...[/b]

Thankfully gas caps are relatively inexpensive to replace if you have to bust it off.I think replacement caps are somewhere around $15 at Napa Autoparts depending on make and model of your car. Might want to drive the car to an autoparts store that has a new gas cap before you break your old one off if you have to resort to that :).

Edited by Slappo

Thanks all! Still stuck but I have an appointment with the garage now that I failed with everyone's method but Dust's...and yes at least I have gas! (Also didn't have a chisel so I tried a screwdriver)

If you were a girl, I was gonna say to go to the auto parts store and ask them if they could help you, but that method doesn't work quite the same for guys. ;)

PhuturePriest

Don't listen to Morostheos. Just unbutton the top few buttons on your shirt, wave your hair in slow motion as you take off your sunglasses, and ask those nice boys at the front desk to help you with your problem, preferably with a breathy voice (And sexy breathy, not Darth Vader breathy).

Gas caps ARE cheap to replace ... and easy to have lots of problems with (my gas cap is problematic, it's something with my particular car). I would have busted it by now, and brought a replacement at an auto parts store.

Oh and if anyone's asking I'm a gal y'all.

Edited by cmariadiaz

PhuturePriest

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1352418393' post='2506738']
Sounds like you are the voice of experience, Miles.... working for you in Kansas, is it?
[/quote]

The fact you have to ask simply means you don't know me at all.

the last gas cap i got was when i accidentally left one behind at a gas station on a road trip. so the next station i got to, i noticed it, and asked about it, and they brouht out a box of ones left behind and gave me two. just ask at the local gas station.

Use a plastic Coke bottle.

[img]http://www.mexicowoods.com/page2/files/page2_blog_entry206_1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.mexicowoods.com/page2/files/page2_blog_entry206_2.jpg[/img]