An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Adams Gives Us Hope

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[b] Many are worried about the outcome of this election, so here is a quote from John Adams.[/b]

[b] It may be the will of Heaven that America shall suffer calamities still more wasting and distressing yet more dreadful. If this is to be the case, it will have this good effect, at least: it will inspire us will many virtues, which we have not, and correct many errors, follies, and vices, which threaten to disturb, dishonor, and destroy us. The furnace of affliction produces refinement, in states as well as individuals. And the new governments we are assuming, in every part, will require a purification from our vices and an augmentation of our virtues or they will be no blessings. The people will have unbounded power. And the people are extremely addicted to corruption and venality, as well as the great. I am not without apprehensions from this quarter, but I must submit all my hopes and fears to an overruling Providence, in which, unfashionable as the faith may be, I firmly believe.

-John Adams[/b]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352484861' post='2507253']
I get my hope from Lysander Spooner. Adams can eat a badger sphincter.
[/quote]
Most likely his body is so far decayed that even if he were resurrected he would not be capable of consuming badger sphincter.

PhuturePriest

I had a dream that everyone was ridiculing me on this thread because it apparently wasn't a real John Adams quote. I was genuinely surprised when it turned out to be just a dream and not what happened last night.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1352484861' post='2507253']
I get my hope from Lysander Spooner. Adams can eat a badger sphincter.
[/quote]
I get my hope from Jesus Christ.

Lysander Spooner can eat... whatever he likes...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352501591' post='2507411']

[/quote]
Badger sphincter is a delicacy in some countries...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352501673' post='2507412']
Badger sphincter is a delicacy in some countries...
[/quote]
That point is irrelevant to my comment.

PhuturePriest

[/quote]

Oh please. We all know "Jesus Christ" is codeword for JC Penny's.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352503086' post='2507423']

Oh please. We all know "Jesus Christ" is codeword for JC Penny's.
[/quote]
:blink:

MissScripture

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352439695' post='2506942']
[b] Many are worried about the outcome of this election, so here is a quote from John Adams.[/b]

[b] It may be the will of Heaven that America shall suffer calamities still more wasting and distressing yet more dreadful. If this is to be the case, it will have this good effect, at least: it will inspire us will many virtues, which we have not, and correct many errors, follies, and vices, which threaten to disturb, dishonor, and destroy us. The furnace of affliction produces refinement, in states as well as individuals. And the new governments we are assuming, in every part, will require a purification from our vices and an augmentation of our virtues or they will be no blessings. The people will have unbounded power. And the people are extremely addicted to corruption and venality, as well as the great. I am not without apprehensions from this quarter, but I must submit all my hopes and fears to an overruling Providence, in which, unfashionable as the faith may be, I firmly believe.

-John Adams[/b]
[/quote]
I already covered this, here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125165-our-countrys-voters-are-stupid/page__st__40#entry2505694"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125165-our-countrys-voters-are-stupid/page__st__40#entry2505694[/url]

:harhar: ;)

MissScripture

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352439695' post='2506942']

-John Adams[/b]
[/quote]
I already covered this, here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125165-our-countrys-voters-are-stupid/page__st__40#entry2505694"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125165-our-countrys-voters-are-stupid/page__st__40#entry2505694[/url]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1352517499' post='2507573']
I already covered this, here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125165-our-countrys-voters-are-stupid/page__st__40#entry2505694"]http://www.phatmass....40#entry2505694[/url]

[/quote]

Well, aren't you superior? ;)

[/quote]
That kind of "hope" probably has a capital "H".

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1352517808' post='2507576']
Meh. I have to admit that I got it from a friend's facebook. ;)
[/quote]

That's where I got mine from. :P