An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Perspective On Veterans Day...

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

As Veterans Day approaches I feel inclined this year to share.

I will admit that this time of year is a difficult one for me. On one hand I appreciate those who value the military in general and remember those who have fought and died for our country. Those who have given up years to serve will of the people thru their elected officials and the officers over them. Those who have scars from what we may have done and seen, the loss from not being able to save our friend. At the same time I do not like strangers who thank me, they have no idea what they are thanking me for. They do not know what I have done, do they think I am broken scarred and battered? do they think I am a hero? What are they thanking me for? In short Veterans Day is bitter sweet. I hate it and I appreciate it. If you appreciate your military then do you understand the oath we take? Have you yourself cared enough to learn your Constitution? Have you thought about the proper role of government? did you truly inform your vote? Vetrans have shown the quality of their beliefs and charcater with what they have done and were willing to do. Sadly I look around and words are cheap.

speaking from my own perspective, having a family member shot down in Vietnam and whose body (though I use the term loosely since not much of him was found) was only recovered and returned to us two years ago.....when i thank a veteran (and not just on Veteran's Day but whenever I see someone wearing their hat or when i know they are a veteran), i almost always have tears in my eyes because i know the horror our family went through and i can only imagine the horror they have seen.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Lil Red it's people like you who are part of why I struggle with Veterans Day (in a good way). I know that there are people who do understand. I had posted this as my FB status and my mom in turn posted a similar post from her point of view. I know that my family has suffered with me because of the decision I made to join the military. I do not regret my service in anyway, but I do feel guilty for being a source of pain for them.

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1352481402' post='2507225']
Lil Red it's people like you who are part of why I struggle with Veterans Day (in a good way). I know that there are people who do understand. I had posted this as my FB status and my mom in turn posted a similar post from her point of view. I know that my family has suffered with me because of the decision I made to join the military. I do not regret my service in anyway, but I do feel guilty for being a source of pain for them.
[/quote]

for myself (can't speak for the rest of my family), yes in a way it is a source of pain, but in another way, that veteran is a substitute for someone i can't thank or hug anymore. i can't explain better :idontknow:

homeschoolmom

What I assume people mean when they thank random military members is thanks for their willingness to put their "regular" lives on hold and go do a nasty job that puts their lives in danger and no one else really wants to do.

It's meant as a gesture of respect.

My earliest memories are military. Sitting on the living room floor with my mom looking at a big world map so she could show me where my big brother was. Being woken up by my father's screams in the night. Seeing my parents run to the door when a staff car went up the street hoping it wasn't going to stop at our door. Learning how to spit shine shoes and put 9 creases in an ironed shirt. Getting to pin bars on another brother's shoulder. Learning to sew stripes on.