An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Better To Go With Your Gut Or Your Head In Life?

Anastasia13

eagle_eye222001

Perhaps giving a scenario would be good. One cannot say in general whether gut trumps head or vice versa.

In general you need both as Nihil mentioned. However, I could see scenarios where you should use one over the other.

PhuturePriest

My saying is "Use your head for food and your gut for daily situations." Not really, I just made that up. But it really depends on the situation. I would use a healthy amount of both. If you did all things based off feelings you would end up as another regular practitioner of societal norms. If you use your head too much you will over-examine things and will never have any fun. For instance, those who use their head all of the time would never skydive and thus not have fun, and those who used their gut all of the time would strap on an empty parachute.

Choosing career paths, choosing what type of guy to go for (after certain necessities like faith and citizenship), and stupid little things in life.

Don't separate yourself into different parts. God made you a whole person: head, gut and heart. It's not a question of either/or.

i agree with Noel's angel....

the key is listening to them all and having them all play their proper roll in whatever decision needs to be made.

don't forget to have trust.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1352553743' post='2507687']don't forget to have trust.
[/quote]
??? What mean ye? Please elaborate,

I think a good balance of both is required for most decisions. Sometimes my head may over analyze a situation and make it more difficult than it needs to be, but at times my gut impulses are just that, impulsive, and may get me in trouble. So gut feelings are always a good basis, but if you have the time, it is best to use your head, truly think about the decision at hand, maybe seek out some information, than make an informed decision. I think in many situations where we need an immediate response, the best answer is to go with what your gut or heart tells you to do (unless you are able to deduce and rationalize in an instant, some can, some can't, some it depends on the situation), as their may not be time to make an informed and mindful decision. I guess it really depends on the situation, current knowledge, the ability to find knowledge, the time needed to make a decision, past experience, and in essence it is different for each individual.

...hopefully that doesn't sound as confusing as I think it does...<.<.>.>

cmotherofpirl

If something scares you listen to your gut first, if something has long term consequences , use your head first. Both are necessary to get thru life.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1352680191' post='2508283']
If something scares you listen to your gut first, if something has long term consequences , use your head first. Both are necessary to get thru life.
[/quote]
What if something with long term consequences scares you? :|

IgnatiusofLoyola

I've found that the decisions that I've been most happy with have been a combination of my head and my gut. First I use my head, do my "homework" (research), find out all the facts I can. Then, when it comes time to actually make the decision, I go with my gut, knowing that it's grounded in reason and facts.