An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paper Nightmares And Other Essays Of Woe

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

So currently I'm writing a 10 page paper on stuff I don't know. And it's due Tuesday morning. :|

Basically it's on nanotechnology. Sound interesting? Good, then maybe you can write it. It's slightly interesting, but it's really technical. I wish this was a theology or religious paper...or political.....would be so much better.

I have many strengths. I will fight many underdog battles willing. This is not one of them.

Current Status (page 2 of 10)

EagleEye, I've been where you are right now. :console:

Here's a suggestion my spiritual director made at one point, and I find it REALLY helps.....

Put a picture or statue or something similar in front of your study space / near your computer where you can see it, and if possible, add a vigil light (battery kind is safer...).

When you sit down to study, place yourself in the presence of God, and ask the Holy Spirit to come and study with you.

Offer the study time for a soul that needs a special grace -- and every time you get FRUSTRATED at what you are doing, offer it up for that soul.

Plan to work in chunks 30 minutes or so. Renew your intention as you start each chunk. Think at the start: what is realistic to do THIS time -- work on 1 paragraph? Research one thing? And then focus on that (this will help keep the material from being overwealming... especially if it is something you find tough or don't like (worked with Freud!). You only have to do ONE thing right now... don't worry about the rest.

At the end of each 30 minutes, take a short break (even just walk around the room, get a drink, spend a few minutes doing something else... you could even pray a decade of the rosary, but it helps to move around a bit...) and then come back and CHOOSE to do this for another 30 minutes. (Be sure to turn off a live candle before you walk away! ;) )

At the end of each chunk of study/paper writing time, thank God for the privilege of serving Him in this way, and for the opportunity to win that grace for the soul you prayed for.

Don't try to work for more than a couple of hours without a little longer break... meals, a little computer time doing something different, some exercise, talk to a friend, etc. It's really important to WALK AWAY and do something different because it will give your body & brain a chance to recharge (think of recharging a cell phone or laptop...)

Repeat until done!

Hope this works for you -- it got me through grad school... and there were days, oh yes, and papers and classes.....

I will pray for you.... please pray for me! Let us know how it goes!

Edited by AnneLine

eagle_eye222001

Current Status: beginning of page 4 of 10.

This paper will be a miracle if it passes.

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1352586129' post='2507875']

Hope this works for you -- it got me through grad school... and there were days, oh yes, and papers and classes.....

I will pray for you.... please pray for me! Let us know how it goes!
[/quote]

Thank you for the advice and prayers. Def. appreciated.

[quote name='hermit' timestamp='1352593602' post='2507910']
Nanotech, my coworker talks to me about this everyday, its like splitting everything down to the finest hair...
[/quote]

Think smaller. :|

Nanotechnology....

EagleEye, I'll be curious what you think of this...

When you want about an 8 minute break, take a look at this. It was made in 1977 (yes, seriously) and we had to watch it when I was in an astronomy class in the late 1980s. Blew my mind back then... and I bet there are more recent versions of this... but certainly makes one think about what a magnificent Creator we have....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0[/url]

Ps. 8

L[size="2"]ORD[/size], our Lord,
how amesome is your name through all the earth!

I will sing of your majesty above the heavens
with the mouths of babes and infants.
You have established a bulwark against your foes,
to silence enemy and avenger.

When I see your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and stars that you set in place—
What is man that you are mindful of him,
and a son of man that you care for him?

Yet you have made him little less than a god,
crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him rule over the works of your hands,
put all things at his feet:

All sheep and oxen,
even the beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,
and whatever swims the paths of the seas.

O L[size="2"]ORD[/size], our Lord,

The best paper I have ever written was done entirely the night before it was due. :hehe:
At least, it was the best paper I have ever written in terms of the mark I received. I feel that it was well argued though.

eagle_eye222001

Current Paper Status: 5.1 pages of 10 completed.

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1352622051' post='2508072']
Nanotechnology....

EagleEye, I'll be curious what you think of this...

When you want about an 8 minute break, take a look at this. It was made in 1977 (yes, seriously) and we had to watch it when I was in an astronomy class in the late 1980s. Blew my mind back then... and I bet there are more recent versions of this... but certainly makes one think about what a magnificent Creator we have....

Ps. 8

L[size=2]ORD[/size], our Lord,

I will sing of your majesty above the heavens
with the mouths of babes and infants.
You have established a bulwark against your foes,
to silence enemy and avenger.

When I see your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and stars that you set in place—
What is man that you are mindful of him,
and a son of man that you care for him?

Yet you have made him little less than a god,
crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him rule over the works of your hands,
put all things at his feet:

All sheep and oxen,
even the beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,
and whatever swims the paths of the seas.

O L[size=2]ORD[/size], our Lord,
[/quote]

Aside from the weird eery music and the guy's annoying voice.....it's actually not to bad of a video considering when it was made.

I think most humans can't really comprehend something higher than 1 e3 or lower than 1e-2. We can see the number and attach some understanding to it, but anything outside the range of those numbers is more or less meaningless.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352622443' post='2508073']
The best paper I have ever written was done entirely the night before it was due. :hehe:
At least, it was the best paper I have ever written in terms of the mark I received. I feel that it was well argued though.
[/quote]

Efficiency is something I strive for. ......what's the best job I can do with the least amount of input..... hehehe.

Not always the best way to think. :|

eagle_eye222001

Current Paper Completion Status...

Completed 6.1 of 10 pages.
Currently: calculate wordage for part 6.2 of 10......finding synonymy.....inserting filler......now stuffing....

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1352661950' post='2508170']

Efficiency is something I strive for. ......what's the best job I can do with the least amount of input..... hehehe.

Not always the best way to think. :|
[/quote]

Perhaps you should switch majors into computer programming. :hehe: That is, after all, the entire point.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352668789' post='2508203']
Perhaps you should switch majors into computer programming. :hehe: That is, after all, the entire point.
[/quote]

I've done C++, a dabble of game programming, some html, and some work in Matlab.

That's enough programming. :wacko:

Sounds like you are doing well, EagleEye! Glad you enjoyed my odd video! Says a lot that I remembered it by name after.... decades. Had a FANTASTIC astronomy professor who enjoyed stuff like this....

More you do papers under time constratint, the better you will get at doing them like that. Last few years of grad school got really comfortable with starting about 11 the night before they were due (I'm a night person -- most alert late at night...). Only time it really was a problem was when the guy upstairs decided to try out his brand new Bose stereo.... finally went up and BRIBED him to turn the DAMNED THING OFF as I had paper due....

Hang in there... we're praying for you. You can do this....

eagle_eye222001

Still at 6.5 of 10.

Basically, I'll need to do 3.5 tomorrow afternoon. Problem is I'm short on material. Here is where my stretching ability will get tested. There's a couple pics I could probably include.....and I do have a few articles I can look to for material to add although again it is very technical ..... It is the first draft...

I think I can do it. :| Not the way I'd prefer, but yeah...

Thanks for all the support. I really do appreciate it.

Starting earlier would probably have not helped too much. When it comes to papers, I really can't get anything done until the pressure builds. I much prefer blitzing stuff out like this than working on a paper for five years.

Yup. Absolutely work the same way myself. AND... If I did mine ahead of time always seemed like I re-wrote it to death.

Is there one area you could expand on a bit -- I don't know anything about nanotechnology so I can't suggest anything... but sometimes there is a parallel concept or a bit of history or some other interesting tidbit that one can discuss for a paragraoh or so... and then bring back into the main concept for a paragraph or so... sometimes that will do the trick.

And whenever I was faced with turning in a paper that was 'less' than I might have liked to turn in, I reminded myself that I had done the best I could do on this particular paper, and that ultimately the only one I had to keep happy is God. :)