An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facebook Again

Croat

I have untagged myself from all pictures on Facebook in which I am together with some immodestly dressed girls, but people can still see these pictures on the profile of the people who posted them.

Am I obliged to ask these people to remove those pictures?

I ask this because some of my friends do not even understand what modesty is and they might think that I have some bad intention.

Without seeing these photos, it is very difficult to give a complete answer, but I'll adress this as best as possible.

Modesty, as you say, is an important part of Christian dress and attitude. We should make sure that our clothes and attitudes speak to the goodness of our bodies and how they are to be used. However, modesty is not a rigid code of dress and can change from culture to culture. Furthermore it is not possible to change how other people dress and act.

If you are uncomfortable with how people dress in pictures, then take care not to be in the pictures. Now that you have been placed in the position of having your pictures posted publicly there is probably little you can do. But I suspect that if in the pictures you are [u]not[/u] taking advantage of their immodesty and are not dressed immodestly yourself, there is little room for scandal. If you are uncomfortable with the pictures still being online then you can ask the owner to remove them; however, if they are not your photos and if you are not behaving inappropriately in the pictures, you are not really responsible for how others in the picture dressed. Perhaps if you have a good relationship with the immodestly dressed people you can bring it up to them gently at some point, but I cannot give any good direction there and am hesitant even to suggest this course of action without knowing your relationship.

Lastly, if you are concerned about this or any other particular action being a sin, please seek out a good spiritual director. Perhaps it would be best to seek a priest who can hear your confessions as well and can give you better direction about your actions and concerns that we can on here, since we know none of the particulars of your situation. It is difficult to address such topics without knowing any real particulars, but hopefully this helps some.