An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Surgery And General Anesthesia

FutureCarmeliteClaire

homeschoolmom

I've been under a few times-- both were emergencies. They put me under in the OR, and I don't remember much other than counting backwards by threes.

Spem in alium

[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]I have had around eight surgeries. In my most recent surgery this year, they couldn't put me completely under because of the type of surgery, so I was on local anaesthetic and became coherent around the end. It was pretty cool, I could hear the surgeons talking and feel them working on me, and I talked to them a bit too. In all my cases with general anaesthesia, I became coherent when I was in recovery (once I even came off sedatives to find myself sitting in a chair with my parents next to me. I had no idea how I got there).

You will need to fast before your surgery in some way so that there's no risk of you being sick. In all my experiences, they have wheeled me into a preparation room (where they attach heart monitors, IV, etc) and then put me under. Usually they've talked to me beforehand and told me to count backwards from 10, but I've never made it the whole way :) I have had anaesthesia administered via a mask and through a vein. Both are pretty easy, and there's not much pain when they put the needle into your vein. They will most likely give you something to sedate you beforehand, which helps to keep you calm. I have had only one negative experience with surgery itself, and that was because they didn't sedate me properly and I had a complete freak out (I was around 10 at the time, and just couldn't calm down).

Waking up during surgery is something that only seems to happen if the anaesthetist intends it. They're constantly giving you a dose of the drug throughout (usually through an IV) and know how deep the anaesthesia is. You will wake up pretty quickly after they stop administering it. Nausea after anaesthesia can happen (I've only been seriously nauseous once, and a few other times I've felt a little bit unwell.)[/font][/color]

The pain for me has always come post-op, and from the surgery rather than from the anaesthetic. But I guess that's expected - people have been cutting you open and stitching you back together! Even when I was just under local anaesthesia I didn't feel pain.

As far as I can remember I haven't said anything really bad. The main thing has just been feeling irritable and being a bit teary afterwards. But usually I'm fine.

I can totally understand why you'd be worried. I don't remember my first surgery (I was 9 months old at the time) but I know my parents were apprehensive. The surgeons know what they're doing and they are considerate of your feelings. Have trust in them, and have even more trust in God. I will keep you in my prayers, Claire.

Eight times for me. I had the Announting of the Sick for half of them. That really helped calm me down before going under. The other times were emergencies so I didn't really have time to think.

KnightofChrist

I've lost count how many I've had, would have to ask my mother to know. Lol

I only recall waking up during one of them. Do not remember any pain. Just woke looked around freaked out a nurse then passed back out.

Archaeology cat

3 surgeries under a general (I'm allergic to -Caine drugs, so locals aren't usually an option).
- first surgery was my wisdom teeth. I was knocked out with sodium pentathol (that's right - truth serum). I remember freaking out that I wasn't falling asleep as they had me count backwards from 10. I only got to 8. It was really hard to wake up from that one.

Next two were knee surgeries with a different anesthesia. They wheeled me into the OR and I had to put myself on the operating table for at least one of those. They confirmed which knee it was multiple times. I woke in recovery and drifted in and out a little before fully waking and being taken to my room. Found out I had a screw in my leg from hearing the nurses talk in recovery, actually. I had a morphine pump after the second surgery.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Thanks for all the amesome advice and reassurance, guys!

Yeah, I'm having my top rib removed and my skeline muscle removed (most of it). They're going through my armpit and I'll be under general with a sedative beforehand, I believe. So from what you guys have told me, that's good.

They told me that during the actual procedure, I'll be laying on my side in this bean bag thing, and since they can only put the IV in my right arm and since I'll be laying on that side, I assume they'll have to move me from the gurney to the bean bag thing while I'm u under. But who knows...

Haha, good to hear about the wisdom teeth, a good friend is getting his out next week and he's pretty nervous. I told him I'll come bring him ice cream afterwards. ;)

They will always take you into the operating room before giving you the anaesthetic itself, although in my case they came and put the port in my hand before I left my hospital room. The surgeon will come and chat to you first. Mine was very good at putting me at my ease and making sure I understood everything that would happen. I was lying awake in the theatre for what felt like a very long time, feeling drowsy but not sleepy, and I was frightened they would start to operate before I was gone, so I kept saying, "I'm still awake!" The nurse kept replying, "We know." :P When they finally gave me the anaesthetic, I didn't even feel them do it, as a nurse had already put the port in my hand in readiness. The next thing I knew I was waking up groggily, and a doctor was saying, "All done." I remember my parents' faces leaning over me as I was wheeled back to my hospital room, and apparently I was able to mumble, "Go away," before falling back asleep for a few hours. I don't remember that bit.

When I woke up again I was in pain, but it wasn't too bad. I'd had worse. They gave me some painkillers for it that worked well. The worst thing for me was the boredom of being stuck in the hospital, feeling too poorly and sleepy to read and with legs too wobbly from the anaesthesia to get up and go for a walk. That only lasted a few hours though, and I was right as rain.

My sister claims that she woke up while under anesthesia when she had her wisdom teeth pulled. She says she was paralyzed but could feel pain, which was apparently excruciating.

Anyhow, good luck!

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1352647466' post='2508113']
My sister claims that she woke up while under anesthesia when she had her wisdom teeth pulled. She says she was paralyzed but could feel pain, which was apparently excruciating.

Anyhow, good luck!
[/quote]
Apparently that can happen. Kind of a one in a million thing.
Exceedingly rare though, thank God.

LaPetiteSoeur

I got my wisdom teeth out this summer. All I remember from the anesthesia is the needle going in (I'm a child when it comes to needles :( ). When I woke up I was very very cold and was shaking and also asked to see my teeth. They said no (three were impacted yay!). I spent the next four days on painkillers that made me sleep
My little sister is getting hers out on Friday!
You'll do really well FCC! The doctors are really nice, in my experience, when it comes to the procedures, especially if you are nervous. I'll remember you in prayer

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1352654110' post='2508134']
You should have someone with paper and pencil to jot down what you say as you wake up. :| Good memories.
[/quote]
Might be even more fun to have a pad and pen with you so that you can start writing as soon as you are able to do so, and see the kinds of fun things that you end up with. :smile3:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1352654264' post='2508136']
Might be even more fun to have a pad and pen with you so that you can start writing as soon as you are able to do so, and see the kinds of fun things that you end up with. :smile3:
[/quote]

I was intubated and heavily medicated... so I did try to write stuff. Um. Yeah... weird stuff. Very weird stuff. (I'm sure my mom still has it, too.)

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I had surgery on my crotch when I was three, Wisdom teeth when I was 16, Eyeball with scaple at 18, and reattempt at eyeball with needle at 21. My dad tells me they waaaaaaaaaaaaaay underdid the pain meds for the hydroseal and I took it like a badarss, don't remember it though. Thanks be. Wisdom teeth was fun lol. They put you on a table and the doctors run around for a little while trying to make sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed before they get started and they said they didn't like my pulse. I think the IV was in, I haaaaaaaaaate those. When I woke up I was yelling cause I honest to God thought I was the Hulk. It wasn't til I tried bearing my own weight when they asked me if I could, and i certainly couldn't, when I realized I was Sean Myers and not Bruce/David Banner. Good drugs I guess.
Eyeballs round 1. Same thing but painkillers weren't half as fun. Eyeballs round two. No food or water from midnight til surgery so they hook me up after I walk in after putting on that super sexy Johnny and the Dr. looks pissed. My folks said he went out there to chew them a new butthole. 'He's completely dehydrated. Lucky to be functioning." Well Doctor it is 3:45 pm and you said he couldn't eat or drink anything since Midnight, you do the math. " The expression on his face instantly changed. He is actually a great guy and Doctor. Made the doctors at Tufts University look like blithering idiots. Again high pulse then while they make sure all the is are dotted and the ts are crossed and they tell you they're gonna put you under. "Ok now count backwards from ten." I think I might have gotten to like 8. Oh ya, this was a special surgery where it was designed to have me woken up with my eyeballs flattened to my face like from globe form to a map form, fastened with pins to my cheeks. And they go through eyetests put me back under and finish. Both eyeballs and eyelashes were bloody for weeks. I wore sunglasses everywhere. It did what they said it would do though, fix what it could of my permanent concussion. I am praying for you FCC. best wishes. When is it again?
Edit: terrible grammar.

Edited by ContemporaryCaflicCrusader