An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Feasts Throughout The Year...

Rosa immaculata

Rosa immaculata

Ave maria!

Today, I consulted as usually the site airmaria.com (run by the FFI; very good website), and I discovered that on 8th November it was the feast of St Bonaventure, and I did not know that at all; as I am beginning to discern with the marvellous Franciscan Order, I think it is necessary to know the great feasts of the seraphic Order (which include the Marian feasts too)... So if can help me to establish a sort of calendar, which will be useful for many others (I hope!)...

I begin with:
-8 th November: St Bonaventure :smile4:
-14th August: St Maximilian Kolbe
-4 th October: St Francis of Assisi

... and that's all for the moment ... :think2:

Hi Rosa! I love [url="http://www.roman-catholic-saints.com/traditional-franciscan-calendar.html"]this site[/url], and check it frequently so I can know if there is a big Franciscan feast going on when I visit the Monastery-a habit I began after an incident where Sister Portress was enthusiastically telling me, "Tomorrow is a feast so we have JELLY with our morning bread!" while talking me through what the nuns eat at breakfast one morning (delicious by the way). I think she was waiting for me to say, "Oh yes-tomorrow is the feast of _____!" so we could discuss it. And I was like, "What feast?" She got this look in her eyes (this happens a lot when I am there ha!) like, "You really need to come inside so we can straighten you out!"

I am just playing, she is the sweetest nun I have ever met. This is her actually:
[img]http://www.poorclaresroswell.com/Postulant-in-the-Garden.jpg[/img]

... Anyway, yes, the Franciscan calendar is wonderful if you are discerning the Franciscan charism so you can be prepared on your visits!

Edit: If the link is confusing, you scroll down to the boxes marked by month. Each month/box will open and show you the Franciscan Calendar for the month, which combines Franciscan Saints and major (possibly minor as well) feasts from the regular Catholic calendar. While the site is great, it is not all-encompassing. For example, it says January 13 is the Feast of Our Lord's Baptism, but it is also the Feast of the Birth of St Colette (very important to the PCCs!)

Edited by emmaberry101

[quote name='Rosa immaculata' timestamp='1352671202' post='2508214']
Ave maria!

Today, I consulted as usually the site airmaria.com (run by the FFI; very good website), and I discovered that on 8th November it was the feast of St Bonaventure, and I did not know that at all; as I am beginning to discern with the marvellous Franciscan Order, I think it is necessary to know the great feasts of the seraphic Order (which include the Marian feasts too)... So if can help me to establish a sort of calendar, which will be useful for many others (I hope!)...

I begin with:
-8 th November: St Bonaventure :smile4:
-14th August: St Maximilian Kolbe
-4 th October: St Francis of Assisi

... and that's all for the moment ... :think2:
[/quote]

October 3rd is celebrated as the Transitus of St. Francis of Assisi. The CFRs usually celebrate by putting on a play that the novices both direct and star in. :)

June 13th is St. Anthony of Padua
February 7th is St. Colette of Corbie (helped make the Poor Clares more austere)
May 18th is St. Felix of Cantalice
May 20th is St. Bernardine of Siena
July 1st is Bl. Junipero Serra
July 10th is St. Veronica Guiliani
July 15th is St. Bonaventure
July 21st is St. Lawrence of Brindisi
Sept. 18th is St. Joseph of Cupertino
Sept. 23rd is St. Padre Pio
Nov. 5th is All Saints of the Franciscan Order
Nov. 19th is St. Agnes of Assisi

Rosa immaculata

Ave Maria!!

Thank you for your answers!! There is a lot of feasts! I really like it! I am realizing that the Franciscan family is a huge huge family, and the Paradise is crowded of Franciscan saints (and plenty of others of course!!)... Thank you Emmaberry for the site: marvellous and November has many feasts! Don't worry, I will be exactly like you during my visits; I laughed when I read your story...but I am excatly like you and in this case, I have a face of fish:); and this sister looks so weeeeeeeet and kiiiiiinnnnnnd!!
It is very nice that we have our own All Saints Day on Nov 5th, thank you Mater, I will know it for the next year:) ! and I am going to learn the lists by heart when I visit my sisters! (don't worry, I won't do it!), but it is very helpful to better know and love this Order...

[quote name='Rosa immaculata' timestamp='1352715864' post='2508542']
Ave Maria!!

Thank you for your answers!! There is a lot of feasts! I really like it! I am realizing that the Franciscan family is a huge huge family, and the Paradise is crowded of Franciscan saints (and plenty of others of course!!)... Thank you Emmaberry for the site: marvellous and November has many feasts! Don't worry, I will be exactly like you during my visits; I laughed when I read your story...but I am excatly like you and in this case, I have a face of fish:); and this sister looks so weeeeeeeet and kiiiiiinnnnnnd!!
It is very nice that we have our own All Saints Day on Nov 5th, thank you Mater, I will know it for the next year:) ! and I am going to learn the lists by heart when I visit my sisters! (don't worry, I won't do it!), but it is very helpful to better know and love this Order...
[/quote]

Yes, Paradise is crowded with Franciscans-and all the others as you said! Yes, she is very sweet. She reminds me of Giselle from Enchanted (you may not have seen this movie). All the Poor Clares do, actually. They even talk like her in the beginning of the movie.. I should also add that the Portress is solemnly professed and not wearing the postulant jumper anymore!