An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vlog Topics

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cys_lwWz78k&feature=plcp"]https://www.youtube....8k&feature=plcp[/url]

Behold my first-ever vlog. Yes. I'm awkward. And my voice sounds like a guy's voice. Not a bad thing in itself, but I'm a 16 year old female, so that does make it awkward.

Obviously, I can't do vlogs just answering people's questions. Well, I CAN, but I don't want to. That'll get old. So. Yeah.

So I have a list of topics that I plan to vlog about sometime:[list=1]
[*]The Eucharist

[*]The saints

[*]Mary

[*]Adoration

[*]My personal discernment process
[*]Favorite Catholic literature

[*]The Rosary

[*]Spiritual restlessness
[/list]
Yea or nay on those? Any other ideas?

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

ChristinaTherese

Your voice doesn't sound awkwardly low to me.... Maybe a bit awkward starting filming, but it was a fine first vlog. The only suggestion I would make is that you only answer one question or talk about one topic per video. Then you can go into more depth. Maybe once in a while you could answer a whole slew of questions, but I wouldn't do that every time. And don't worry about answering every question you're asked, just answer the ones you want to answer. That would give you freedom to talk about what you want to talk about and not get bogged down by everything. Also, is there a way you could edit out the beginning so that there's less "um... ah... So I'm starting to film...." at the beginning. But I don't hang around vlogs very much, so maybe my advice isn't good and goes against vlogging etiquette, if there is such a thing. (Also, you said that you wouldn't answer questions all the time in your OP, so maybe my comments on that are unnecessary.)

DiscerningCatholic

Eh, like I said, this was my first vlog. That's why I put this here; I need advice! x) Plus, I'm so camera shy, I'm probably gonna be awkward for a while.

GeorgiiMichael

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Just like with a good paper or blog post, you need to make sure you edit. With film, it's more difficult because you might have to re-shoot some things, but it'll make for a cleaner product. All good vloggers do it; it makes it so the only things in your video are the things that are important to your topic. This also allows you to move clips around in order to allow for better flow between topics. Also, it would be good to have a script, or at least an outline for you to go off of, this will cut down any potential tangents and keep you on focus.

For shooting itself, you gotta look that camera in the eye. It won't bite, and if you screw up, you can cut it out. Remember, you have total control of the content that you put out, you're in charge so take control of the conversation. That lens might not blink, but you can sure as heck turn it's power off. Don't get intimidated by some fancy hunk of plastic, metal, and glass.

I didn't get to watch the whole thing, only the first couple of minutes, so this is just a response to that limited exposure to your vlog and to what I've seen already mentioned in the thread.

Good luck!

[quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1352840941' post='2509351']
EDIT EDIT EDIT

Just like with a good paper or blog post, you need to make sure you edit. With film, it's more difficult because you might have to re-shoot some things, but it'll make for a cleaner product. All good vloggers do it; it makes it so the only things in your video are the things that are important to your topic. This also allows you to move clips around in order to allow for better flow between topics. Also, it would be good to have a script, or at least an outline for you to go off of, this will cut down any potential tangents and keep you on focus.

For shooting itself, you gotta look that camera in the eye. It won't bite, and if you screw up, you can cut it out. Remember, you have total control of the content that you put out, you're in charge so take control of the conversation. That lens might not blink, but you can sure as heck turn it's power off. Don't get intimidated by some fancy hunk of plastic, metal, and glass.

I didn't get to watch the whole thing, only the first couple of minutes, so this is just a response to that limited exposure to your vlog and to what I've seen already mentioned in the thread.

Good luck!
[/quote]
everything he said...
And watch some Mother Angelica live, and I mean that in a good way :like3:

GeorgiiMichael

The biggest issue I had was that the music seemed to drown out your talking every now and then. In the future, make sure you adjust your volume levels so the background music is truly background music.

It's getting better though!

DiscerningCatholic

Yeah...I kept forgetting to adjust the video volume. :doh: Plus, I usually talk louder when it's not 9:00 at night. :smile4: Recording that so late was probably not the best idea. :|