An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditional Advent

Rosaries

Other than the Orthodox Nativity fast, what sort of more serious, solemn fasting could be done for Advent? Looking for something to help put me into a slightly more fire and brimstone frame of mind this year. I know some traditions reserve the tree and even most music until Christmas Day. Some of that is not feasible in a family setting, so I am personally interested in solitary fasting that preferably falls into tradition. Bless!

To Jesus Through Mary

Each advent I do some form of extra prayer, fasting, and alms giving. In the past I have not listened to Christmas music (I'm going to this year) Some ideas might be to give up sweets, eat only two meals a day a couple times a week, fast one day a week, add an extra prayer such as a rosary (if you already recite yours daily maybe add a decade), Divine Mercy Chaplet, daily Mass, read the bible everyday, time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, buying a homeless person a meal, working in a soup line, going through all your old clothes and donating what you don't need to charity (and maybe even something you really like).... I don't know if this is the traditional stuff you are looking for. But the whole point of Advent is to purify our life and "make straight the way of the Lord". My goal this Advent is to examine what my attachments are and work on giving them up so I may truly join the Holy Family in holy poverty this Christmas. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

Okay, time for one of my ignorant questions. I have heard and read about Lenten fasting, but the concept of Lenten fasting is a new one to me (even on Phatmass, it hasn't been talked about a lot--or else I missed those posts). Can someone explain the purpose and common practices involved in Lenten fasting?

As to giving up Christmas music, I can understand why a person might give up secular Christmas music during Lent, but why give up religious Christmas music, especially the music that specifically looks toward the coming of Christ? (Note: I am not questioning this practice AT ALL--I'm just looking for more information. I'm sure the reason behind it is very sound--I just haven't heard of it before. For example, I love the hymn "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and it seems to me a perfect hymn for the Lenten season. I start singing it on December 1 and sing it to myself a LOT during Lent.)

Thank-you in advance for helping me.

Hi Iggy!

Lenten fasting is done before Easter, what the OP is referring to is advent fasting before the coming of Christmas. I'll let someone else tackle the fasting purposes and practices.

As for Christmas music, there are two types of Christian "Christmas" music. Music[b] in preparation for [/b]the coming of Christ (Advent music) and music [b]in celebration of [/b]the coming of Christ (Christmas music). Preparatory music would be in reference to Christ coming, not Christ having come (o come o come emmanuel, let all mortal flesh keep silence, ). Celebratory music would be songs about Christ having come, the Christ child, etc (silent night, we three kings, away in a manger, hark the herald angels sing). It is, in a sense, improper to sing Christmas music and it is most proper to sing Advent music. Advent music helps prepare us for Christmas. Christmas music helps us celebrate the feast of Christmas which lasts twelve days.

FYI It would be entirely improper to sing Christmas music in the liturgy before Christmas. As for singing them at home... it can be done, but it isn't really in the spirit of the liturgical season to do so.

I particularly love Veni Veni Emmanuel as an Advent piece. I usually listen to it a couple times a week during Advent, along with the other traditional hymns.

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1352894822' post='2509810']
Each advent I do some form of extra prayer, fasting, and alms giving. In the past I have not listened to Christmas music (I'm going to this year) Some ideas might be to give up sweets, eat only two meals a day a couple times a week, fast one day a week, add an extra prayer such as a rosary (if you already recite yours daily maybe add a decade), Divine Mercy Chaplet, daily Mass, read the bible everyday, time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, buying a homeless person a meal, working in a soup line, going through all your old clothes and donating what you don't need to charity (and maybe even something you really like).... I don't know if this is the traditional stuff you are looking for. But the whole point of Advent is to purify our life and "make straight the way of the Lord". My goal this Advent is to examine what my attachments are and work on giving them up so I may truly join the Holy Family in holy poverty this Christmas. :)
[/quote]
amesome ideas, I look forward to incorporating some of them!
[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1352911754' post='2509862']
Okay, time for one of my ignorant questions. I have heard and read about Lenten fasting, but the concept of Lenten fasting is a new one to me (even on Phatmass, it hasn't been talked about a lot--or else I missed those posts). Can someone explain the purpose and common practices involved in Lenten fasting?

As to giving up Christmas music, I can understand why a person might give up secular Christmas music during Lent, but why give up religious Christmas music, especially the music that specifically looks toward the coming of Christ? (Note: I am not questioning this practice AT ALL--I'm just looking for more information. I'm sure the reason behind it is very sound--I just haven't heard of it before. For example, I love the hymn "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and it seems to me a perfect hymn for the Lenten season. I start singing it on December 1 and sing it to myself a LOT during Lent.)

Thank-you in advance for helping me.
[/quote]
I think the main purpose of fasting in Advent is to prepare oneself for Christ's Second Coming, not his first. We prepare for the Nativity celebration by putting out the nativity itself, but the symbolism of the end of the liturgical year and the coming of the Christchild is paralleled in liturgy to the End Times and Christ's Second Coming. Because of this side of Advent, we are to work toward cleaning ourselves and getting right with God in preparation for our inevitable judgment. Stripping ourselves of luxuries by fasting and withholding celebratory hymns, etc. Is one way to work toward reminding ourselves of our impending cleansing and judgment. We don't need good food every day to get to heaven, after all. I need a hefty reminder this year, so I would like to step up my game. Boy do I need to step up. :pinch: