An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sound On Windows 8?

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Well make me into a meme and call me Derp! I can't hear from the computer speakers, but I can hear through headphones! :huh: Not horrible, since I use headphones most of the time, but I like the computer speakers for when I vlog.

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1352933300' post='2510062']
Well make me into a meme and call me Derp! I can't hear from the computer speakers, but I can hear through headphones! :huh: Not horrible, since I use headphones most of the time, but I like the computer speakers for when I vlog.
[/quote]
It could be that the speakers require a certain kind of driver software that you do not have installed on your PC, having switched to Windows 8. What is the brand and model of speakers that you are using?

Roamin Catholic

I'd go into the control panel, select sound devices; and check what is the default output device. If more than one shows up, switch them and see what that does.

I know this is probably stupid, but it's perhaps possible that your headphone switch is broken. This is known to happen on iPhones. The common fix? Q-Tip.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayScKPuZPuM&feature=youtube_gdata[/media]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352934942' post='2510078']
I know this is probably stupid, but it's perhaps possible that your headphone switch is broken. This is known to happen on iPhones. The common fix? Q-Tip.

[/quote]
Ummm she said computer. I'm assuming the same sound device operates both headphones and speakers on separate jacks. Sound card/onboard device, Speaker/amplifier issue????
Nihils suggestion maybe.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1352935453' post='2510085']
Ummm she said computer. I'm assuming the same sound device operates both headphones and speakers on separate jacks. Sound card/onboard device, Speaker/amplifier issue????
[/quote]

Don't count this as being accurate to this particular device, but headphone jacks have a switch built into them, such that when you insert your headphones it will switch the audio for the built in speakers off, and turn the headphone audio on. Sometimes that switch gets dirty/bent/whatever and it stops working, and this is well known in iPhones, where headphones work but the speaker does not, or vice versa.

This diagram demonstrates the "switch."

[img]http://www.ve3syb.ca/radio/icf2010-phonejack.jpg[/img]

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352935741' post='2510086']

Don't count this as being accurate to this particular device, but headphone jacks have a switch built into them, such that when you insert your headphones it will switch the audio for the built in speakers off, and turn the headphone audio on. Sometimes that switch gets dirty/bent/whatever and it stops working, and this is well known in iPhones, where headphones work but the speaker does not, or vice versa.

This diagram demonstrates the "switch."

[img]http://www.ve3syb.ca/radio/icf2010-phonejack.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Simple test- plug/unplug your headphones quickly a few times, and see if it comes back. Doing that will cycle the contacts on the headphone jack's switch.

Still, I am not sure this is the likely culprit, since your computer is so new, but as this problem is well known in new iPhones I don't wonder if maybe Foxconn has been using low-grade jacks. (Almost all laptops/phones/electronics these days get made in one of a handful of Foxconn factories.)

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1352935453' post='2510085']
Nihils suggestion maybe.
[/quote]

A lot of speaker systems now a days tend to be USB. So it ends up showing as different devices to Windows. I've had the same problem as the OP before.

Should be a fairly easy fix, especially on a newer computer. Just a lot of trial and error.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352935976' post='2510087']
I don't wonder if maybe Foxconn has been using low-grade jacks. (Almost all laptops/phones/electronics these days get made in one of a handful of Foxconn factories.)
[/quote]

And thats why my PC's get built in my living room...I have full control over what goes into it.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1352936143' post='2510089']

And thats why my PC's get built in my living room...I have full control over what goes into it.
[/quote]

That's a nice thing. I built my last desktop that way. Sadly you can't do a laptop piece-wise.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1352936724' post='2510092']

That's a nice thing. I built my last desktop that way. Sadly you can't do a laptop piece-wise.
[/quote]

Stupid motherboards and proprietary cases.