An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carrying Message Stick With The Gospel Procession

Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

The aboriginal message stick was a form of communication between aborigine tribes. It could be used to invite other tribes to a coroboree or games or even war. In the past on one day of the year we have Nadoc day and the message stick is brought forward with the gospel. An aboriginal elder assists as EMHC distributing the sacred host from an aboriginal object. Not sure what it is but is like a carry basket. The parish wants the message stick to be brought forward with the gospel procession [b]every[/b] week. They also want to put brass plaques at the entrance to the church of aboriginal elders denoting the people who were first to walk the land. This seems to me to be an invasion of pagan rites into the Church. Are there any Church laws regarding this and if so where may I obtain them?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it is not all as bad as you write. Out of charity I must suggest that. But let me also suggest this is something I would let your bishop know about...in writing. Keep copies of your <<RESPECTFUL>> correspondance. If you get no satisfaction contact the Congregations for Worship in Rome, forwarding all communication to them.

[color=#666666][font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Cardinal Prefect Antonio Cañizares Llovera [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Piazza Pio XII 10[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#666666][font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]00193 Rome, VATICAN CITY[/size][/font][/color]

Aboriginal Culture[color=#002D40][size=4][b]
The Message Stick & Stone Inlay at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral[/b][/size][/color]
[color=#280F00][size=3]

[img]http://www.cam.org.au/Portals/46/Images/Aboriginal/archbishop_hart_100.jpg[/img]The Aboriginal Message Stick housed in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral and the beautiful Stone Inlay in the Cathedral forecourt are magnificent and poignant additions to the Catholic heritage of Melbourne.
For too long the indigenous people of this country have been left on the margins of our society, and sadly this has often been true of the Church as well. The intention of my predecessor, Archbishop Pell, in encouraging the installation of the Message Stick and the Stone Inlay, was to acknowledge the wrongs of the past and to highlight the special place that Aboriginal people occupy in the Church. This I warmly affirm as my personal view also.
I welcome you to this great Cathedral and encourage you in visiting it to remember all who have helped to build and maintain the Church in Melbourne, especially the Aboriginal people.ARCHBISHOP OF MELBOURNE.[/size][/color]
[url="http://www.cam.org.au/cathedral/Aboriginal-Culture/Article/13411/message-stick"]http://www.cam.org.au/cathedral/Aboriginal-Culture/Article/13411/message-stick[/url]