NeWeStCoNvErT Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Hey guys, This is joyce I just went to confession and I was told smoking was a sin, but i have been told otherwise by others. The preist seemed VERY angry that i didnt know that and that i smoked. So if anyone can give me more info on this matter it would be greatly appriciated Peace be with you all, Joyce
Oik Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Smoking is a toughy. Think about it like this. One: We are all called to self-mastery Two: There is a one-hour Eucharistic fast prior to reception Three: Cravings can/do interfer with worship Okay, for the first, it is hard to practice self-mastery if we are addicted to smoking. Thus one is a bit of a stretch I know. Second, part of our fast would/does include smoking (note: this is my opinion). I believe we may only consume water. Third, if you are addicted to nicotine and all you can think about is satisfying your craving, then how can you be focused on Christ while you are at Mass? That is God's time and He should occupy our minds and our thoughts! I hope this all helps.
Anna Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Is smoking injurious to your health or the health of others around you? Is there a commandment that forbids the injuring of oneself or others? (Think #5) Well, then, knowingly, willfully inhaling harmful smoke and puffing it where others must inhale it is sinful, though probably not gravely sinful. What about a pregnant woman who smokes or drinks, for instance? How is it wrong for her, but ok for others? Pax Christi.
Guest Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 i dont think smokeing is a sin nor should anyone pass judgement on someone who chooses to smoke
Colleen Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 I don't think smoking is a sin, either. It's not like drugs or alcohol where you're impairing your judgment. It's not a good thing to do, in my opinion, but I don't think it's sinful. Heck, I know priests that smoke. Somebody please clear this up!
Guest Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 (edited) i dont think drinking alcohol is a sin either i think it can be sinfull if abused but if not, then i dont c how it could be considered a sin back to the smokeing thing, i think it could be sinfull if it causes a brother or sister to fall......like if a younger kid see's u smokeing, and then wants to go smoke becuz u do it, then u might be causeing that little one to smoke...or like the second hand smoke thing.....that could be sinfull Edited May 23, 2004 by Guest
Colleen Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 [quote name='Delivery Boy' date='May 22 2004, 08:31 PM'] i dont think drinking alcohol is a sin either i think it can be sinfull if abused [/quote] right, that's what i meant.
Guest Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 (edited) lol i figured thats wut u meant didnt mean to sound like a jerk and an idot like me, most of the time ends up drinking to much so God is prolly shakeing his head on why im even replyen to this Edited May 23, 2004 by Guest
Colleen Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 [quote name='Delivery Boy' date='May 22 2004, 08:37 PM'] lol i figured thats wut i meant didnt mean to sound like a jerk [/quote] Oh, don't worry about it!
daugher-of-Mary Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 That is a toughie. My parish priest smokes, and his health is suffering some from it (although he can chant Divine Liturgy like no one else! ) My grandma was a chain smoker and now has chronic bronchitis, so it seems to me like it is at least venially sinful since you are doing damage to yourself and possibly others through second hand smoke. I don't know for sure though...
NeWeStCoNvErT Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 Well i chaecked the another forum which and an ask father and its mixed. Mostly what i got form is that if its abused then its a sin but if its moderate its not. The preist I confessed too I think has a strong opposition towards smoking. The church has not said anything specifically on smoking though I think i saw on the other forum that it is in the catechism that its a sin its overused just as alchol. Anyways i was going to give up by the end of the summer Joyce
NeWeStCoNvErT Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 Hey guys i found it in the catechism [quote]2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.[/quote] If its a sin just in excess then tabacco it self is not a sin and the preist was wrong i suppose(not to be mean )He said that its like taking poison evryday and killing yourself which i didnt disagree but if he is going to say that smoking is a sin he needs to say in excess so i dont get so confused. .Though i do use it more then moderately which would make it a sin : blink : but anyways thats all i think thats all that anybody is really going to come up with peace be with you all Joyce
cmotherofpirl Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 We are Temples of the Holy Spirit and not supposed to injure ourselves. Smoking is not helathy and in fact injurs our lungs. Therefore the case can be made its a sin.
Phazzan Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Some people think it is, some think it isn't. I don't think it is, I enjoy a social cig every now and again. I used to get cut up real bad everytime I lit up, cause I felt so guilty cause I thought my smoking was offensive to God. Even if it is a sin, it's not worth crying about, I'm sure God feels that way as well. Dependence might be a sin though.
foundsheep Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Smoking is also an addiction. Its self serving. You know it can make you sick. Therefore it is a sin. But everyone has their vice.
Deeds Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 I don't know if it's a sin but I think that not smoking would be more pleasing to God than smoking, because of the health risks and the fact that it's an addiction. The priest had no right to be angry at you for doing it though.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Having a vice is not a good thing. They will have to be purged sooner or later. Better to start the process before death, than the "purging" after.
Archangel Raphael Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 (edited) Well think of it this way, with smoking you get addicted. Do you think it's healthy or rather holy to be addicted to something you cannot stop? Our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, so at the same time it is our duty to take care of them, and not do things that'll bring sin upon them or bad health. Smoking isn't good for you, it blackens your lungs. But personally, any addiction can be a sin if it's out of hand. Think about it, our Spirits are suppose to be in rule over our bodies, not our bodies overruling our Spirit. The only GOOD addiction is getting addicted to things that are good for you, especially spiritual things, like the Word hehe! "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. (Rom. 6:12-13)" Edited May 23, 2004 by Archangel Raphael
Pio Nono Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 JMJ 5/23 - Seventh Sunday of Easter (The Ascension of Our Lord) The abuse of anything is sinful, while the moderate use of innocent pleasures is just fine. After a hard day of work, a cigar and a beer can really help one unwind (provided legal issues are met). We'll all admit, though, that the abuse of smoking is gravely sinful. But why should pipe and cigar smoking be considered sinful when not abused? To make a sin out of something that isn't sinful isn't healthy - it's called Jansenism.
toledo_jesus Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 I was wondering about pipe smoking. I have plans for my old-manhood, and they include pipe tobacco and three piece suits. And a beard too. I think that sitting down with a pipe once in the evening might not be sinful. I really couldn't tell you though. Used to smoke cigs, but they aren't conducive to being phlegm-free and smelling attractive. A pipe though, that would be difficult to carry around and just take out to the sidewalk every hour.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now