An Old School Catholic Message Board

No Meat On Fridays?

Annie12

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1353727476' post='2515569']
Okay... now you're just talking way over my head. But I'm tired. So, what you're saying is that if someone forgot to abstain from meat-- just completely slipped his mind while he was chomping down on a meatball sub or eating Thanksgiving leftovers-- that was a venial sin?
[/quote]
Well obviously sin needs to be intentional. Venial or not.
Beyond that, you would want to ask an expert on canon law.

I actually learnt about this in RCIA this past Thursday...good to know and start practicing...I also heard that some bishops in America are trying to reinstate No Meat Fridays in full.

Edited by jazzytakara

[quote name='jazzytakara' timestamp='1353734375' post='2515806']
I actually learnt about this in RCIA this past Thursday...good to know and start practicing...I also heard that some bishops in America are trying to reinstate No Meat Fridays in full.
[/quote]

Cardinal Dolan was musing about it just recently.

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1353735119' post='2515813']
<-does not have to fast at all.
[/quote]

really? I thought the Orthodox have stricter fasting rules/practices.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1353739832' post='2515849']
really? I thought the Orthodox have stricter fasting rules/practices.
[/quote]
I may have a slightly liberal priest, I'm a newb, and I have a minor medical issue. My priest told me not to fast: he would rather be concerned with what is in my heart than what is in my stomach because love is more important than diet.

Copts are vegetarian or vegan 2/3 or 3/4 of the year.

Edited by Light and Truth

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1353740191' post='2515853']
I may have a slightly liberal priest, I'm a newb, and I have a minor medical issue. My priest told me not to fast: he would rather be concerned with what is in my heart than what is in my stomach because love is more important than diet.
[/quote]
Those with medical conditions are generally broadly exempted from standard fasting requirements.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353740893' post='2515856']
Those with medical conditions are generally broadly exempted from standard fasting requirements.
[/quote]
Indeed, though I get the sense my priest would not have rushed me into it if that wasn't an issue with me.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353717779' post='2515459']
Abstaining from meat is the 'default', but it is the prerogative of the national episcopal conference to allow other penances to be substituted, which most have.
[/quote]
The Belgian episcopal conference has allowed us to eat meat and do other penances long time ago. Nevertheless many people (especially the older ones) don't eat meat on friday. Friday = fish day.

Canon law states that the days and times of penance for the whole Church are the Fridays of the entire year, and the season of Lent. Also canon law gives further details on just how Catholics are to make these days penitential. If a solemnity falls on a Friday, abstaining is not required. One can substitute an act of penance in place of abstaining. Here is an illustration of the wisdom of the Church. The Church recognized that meat was not as dominate in people's diet and many people like fish, and more and more people were living a meatless life. So abstaining from meat was not the sacrifice as it was centuries ago.

[quote]
Days of Penance

Can. 1249 The divine law binds all the Christian faithful to do penance each in his or her own way. In order for all to be united among themselves by some common observance of penance, however, penitential days are prescribed on which the Christian faithful devote themselves in a special way to prayer, perform works of piety and charity, and deny themselves by fulfilling their own obligations more faithfully and especially by observing fast and abstinence, according to the norm of the following canons.

Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

Can. 1253 The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast.[/quote]

Edited by Papist

I'm vegetarian anyway (mostly vegan) so this particular Friday observance has never held much meaning for me and I've always had to substitute something else in. I thought the concept of Friday penance was quite widely known and understood, even though people may not practise it.

Not really sure how to get my family to understand this though... They like their meat... I don;t think they will listen to me since I am the second youngest in the family. They see me as the baby... Its annoying... any ideas?

and I'm still confused is it obligatory or strongly suggested?

Edited by Annie12

homeschoolmom

Imho, it would make more sense to reiterate the need for a Friday abstinence/penance and ask/encourage people to find their own. For the vast majority of lay Catholics, a return to mandatory meatless Fridays would seem like an arbitrary obligation imposed upon the laity, rather than and opportunity to grow in holiness. I also think it could cause unneeded confusion among Protestants and give them more ammunition that Catholicism is all just about following a bunch of rules.

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1353758052' post='2515889']
The Belgian episcopal conference has allowed us to eat meat and do other penances long time ago. Nevertheless many people (especially the older ones) don't eat meat on friday. Friday = fish day.
[/quote]

Well, fish is supposed to be "brain food", and judging from condition the world is in today, the world needs as much of it as it can get!

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1353779738' post='2515967']
Imho, it would make more sense to reiterate the need for a Friday abstinence/penance and ask/encourage people to find their own. For the vast majority of lay Catholics, a return to mandatory meatless Fridays would seem like an arbitrary obligation imposed upon the laity, rather than and opportunity to grow in holiness. I also think it could cause unneeded confusion among Protestants and give them more ammunition that Catholicism is all just about following a bunch of rules.
[/quote]

At the same time, it would provide a straight answer to a question, which is something that people desire. See Annie12's post:

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1353777069' post='2515947']
and I'm still confused is it obligatory or strongly suggested?
[/quote]

It is interesting you bring up that protestants might look at Catholics as too oriented on following rules; how many Catholics leave the Church in frustration for protetstant denominations (or non-denominations) because a Catholic priest or teacher can't or won't give a definitive answer (even if the answer is "there is no definitive answer") but the protestants say "the Bible says this" and the case is closed?