An Old School Catholic Message Board

Q&a Thread On Inner Darkness

Anastasia13

I'm very curious what Catholics are going to say about this thread by ithinkjesusiscool.

[QUOTE=http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125411-inner-darkness-and-confession-as-the-only-solution/]Pax!
I know many non-Catholics who say they experience a great darkness inside of themselves. Is it true that the only thing that could take away this darkness is if they one day would receive the Sacrament of Confession?
and would the Oriental Orthodox Confession be valid (if they choose not to become Catholic)?[/QUOTE]

Curiously,

Your proud Oriental Orthodox

I dont think that the Power and Grace of The Lord can ever be limited, confined - i.e. can The Lord act outside of The Sacraments? Yes He can.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1353822276' post='2516224']
I dont think that the Power and Grace of The Lord can ever be limited, confined - i.e. can The Lord act outside of The Sacraments? Yes He can.
[/quote]

I agree while the Church holds the fullness of God's promises and the straightest best path in Christ, we can not be so arrogant as to attempt to limit God. God has shown us through the scriptures that he will work outside of the faith at times. I note two cases in particular in Exodus we are introduced to Jethro (Moses' father-in-law) a Priest of Midian. I note that a non- Jew pointed Moses to the Mountain of God... The second instance I note is the Wiseman who came to visit the infant Jesus. Again I not non- Jews using a banned (for Jews) practice were able to discern that God had been made flesh born of woman. In short, Confession is a healing sacrament and would be useful in healing the "darkness" in someone. The Orthodox Church maintains apostolic succession with valid orders and thus valid sacraments, they just are not in full communion in Rome. So yes for an Orthodox Confession is still valid and beneficial.

The Catholic Church olds the fullness of truth and yet God does work, can work, and will work with all that we have.

I wonder what exactly this inner darkness is? Is it permanant or intermittant? Is associated with something particular or is it general?

There are several reasons one could be experiencing darkness so there are several ways of alleviating it or at least figuring out the cause.

It could be something psychological, depression, or normal emotions from having a bad day, etc. Have a healthy lifestyle, exercise, do something relaxing, see your Doctor or counselor for a chat, avoid illicit drugs and overindulgence with alcohol, or just try talking to a friend and being social.

It could somethng as simple as being not happy living the life they are leading-perhaps they are studying something their parents want, rather than what they want etc.

It could have something to do with living a sinful lifestyle-I've no doubt that sin can have an effect on a person's perception and experience of life. It could be an effect of that or a means God is using to bring a realisation to them that that isn't so good-so they respond to Him either directly, or indirectly by prompting them to avoid a particular cause of this darkness (if there is a noticeable one).

It could be a temptation to despair or hopelessness-which can effect anyone regardless of religion or belief.

It could also be an experience of solitude-once all the distractions of life are turned off, etc, it can be pretty overwhelming sometimes (or at first) to find its just you...in the silence.... St Augustine said once that 'you have made us for yourself O'Lord and our hearts are restless until they rest in you'. An experience of darkness/lonliness/unsatisfaction can be just that-a realisation that although there are good things in life, they can never satisfy us completely or for long; only God can. If that's it, work on deepening your relationship with God.

What would a non-catholic be specifically? An atheist, a Christian (not a catholic), or of another religion? If religious or Christian, I would suggest having recourse to their life of prayer. Depending on the cause, it may help them realise what the problem is and perhaps take steps to overcome it.

The catholic Sacrament of Confession is not some sort of 'magic' fix all. However, Confession may have the effect of alleviating a darkness if it is associated with sin, though it generally does not alter/remove one caused by psychological or human cause (unless God works a miracle or unless those factors are secondary effects of sin). The purpose and use of Confession is to restore a specific type of relationship with God that was lost or damaged through sin after their Christian Baptism, while also strengthening a person in their daily life to try to live a virtuous life.

I'm not an expert on Orthodox Sacraments, but from what's written in the other posts-the Sacraments are valid, so if Orthodox go for it. It may help and it certainly can't hurt. It may sometimes be difficult living a Christian life, but none of the Sacraments can hurt or damage us-they are meant to be helpful.

If a non-catholic, but still a Christian, and they are living their faith consistantly-praying, going to church etc, then the darkness may be a result of a deepening relationship with God. In Catholic life, this is called a dark night of the soul, but that's another topic entirely. If suspecting that, it is not a bad thing but it is important then talk to a priest about it for guidance.

Pax Christi.

Edited by MaryJJD