An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Nuns Wear Pajama P.ants?

Catholicterp7

Catholicterp7

I decided I'd post this in here as well because I know not everyone who may want to contribute visit the vocation station.
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]So I'm in the process of compiling a book called Do Nuns Wear Pajama P.ants? The Answer to that and Any Other Question You Want to Ask a Nun. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]The idea is to have different categories of questions ranging from "what do you wear to bed?" to "What do you do when you're attracted to someone?" I'm hoping to be able to get a lot of Sisters and Nuns from different communities to answer some questions as well as share some humorous stories about discernment/convent life. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]I'm really excited about it, however I can't do it alone. I need questions! All of the questions will be anonymous so please ask anything! Feel free to either reply to this post, or send me a PM. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Open Sans', sans-serif]P.S. Right now I only want questions for female religious because I'm hoping, if this really gets off the ground, to be able to make another one for men called "Do Priests Drink Beer?"[/font][/color]
[font="Open Sans, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]P.P.S. Please feel free to ask those you know for their questions as well. [/color][/font]
[font="Open Sans, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]JMJ+ :heart: [/color][/font]

carmenchristi

Great idea. One question that I was asked often is, how do you deal with being so far away from your family? Do you get homesick? How do you feel about the fact that you can get sent halfway across the world with very little prior notice?

^^ better questions than the OP. We do not need to know what a Sister wears to bed.... as if it would be something other than pjs or a night habit. As mentioned in vocation station... it seems of poor taste. **end soapbox**

What do you do when you just have a horrible week, but you're trapped in an enclosure with people who just get under your skin? When Sr. So and So makes what you dislike for the 4th time in a week and everyone in chapel sings flat and the heat stops working?

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1353963019' post='2517085']
What do you do when you just have a horrible week, but you're trapped in an enclosure with people who just get under your skin? When Sr. So and So makes what you dislike for the 4th time in a week and everyone in chapel sings flat and the heat stops working?
[/quote]

You flip a table and rage. Works every time.

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1353965712' post='2517123']
[/quote]

Truth. [url="http://www.catholicmemes.com/advice-priest/advice-priest-wwjd/"]http://www.catholicmemes.com/advice-priest/advice-priest-wwjd/[/url]

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1353965712' post='2517123']
[/quote]

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1353961997' post='2517065']
^^ better questions than the OP. We do not need to know what a Sister wears to bed.... as if it would be something other than pjs or a night habit. As mentioned in vocation station... it seems of poor taste. **end soapbox**
[/quote]

Agreed. I think we could find another somewhat silly question that could be used for the title that would remain in good taste ("do priests drink beer?" is excellent I think).

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1353966657' post='2517159']

Agreed. I think we could find another somewhat silly question that could be used for the title that would remain in good taste ("do priests drink beer?" is excellent I think).
[/quote]
I was not going to say this just right off the bat, but since we are on the subject...

I think, if nothing else, (leaving aside the question of prudence) the title is rather too wordy and does not flow well.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1353962388' post='2517070']
how do you deal with other nuns that you cannot get along with?
[/quote]
Don't know about nuns, but a brother told me that it is not uncommon for priests and/or brothers to be separated because of compatibility issues.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1353966657' post='2517159']

Agreed. I think we could find another somewhat silly question that could be used for the title that would remain in good taste ([b]"do priests drink beer?[/b]" is excellent I think).
[/quote]
I can answer that one. We had a priest who has recently passed away God rest his soul. He was often present in the local pub of every town he was priest in. Drinking beer and talking to the locals. A kind of a mission in itself. I gave him a bottle of wine for some occasion can't remember what except that I got told in no uncertain terms that he only drank beer. :unsure:

Maybe you could find another title for the priests' book and use, "Do Nuns Drink Beer?" for this one, unless that seems in poor taste, also. Because it was a question we got, a lot.

Yeah, I have held off weighing in on this. My concern isn't that it is too prying into the 'private life of nuns' -- although really, each community is so different you won't get a one-fits-all-answer (pun intended).

However, I do think that there is an element in the bigger society who has a purient fascination with nuns & priests.... and I really think you could spark the wrong kind of interest for your book. (And.... there are already enough problems with people wearing habits and doing other things in a way to mock religion... hate to give them any additional ideas....)

There must be something less provocative and more funny but that would be just as memorable.... Maybe others besides Cherie Madam can come up with some alternatives!

carmenchristi

I would think the beer title is far more inappropriate than the pajama one. It's pretty obvious that everyone including sitters wears pajamas to bed. What is so personal about that? Idgi! Whereas when you talk about alcohol, there are religious and priests who have real problems in this area ( a small percentage obviously ) ... I don't know anyone, religious or other who has serious sleepwear issues!