An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Sisters Non-catholic Wedding

havok579257

OK I need advice on what I can/should do. My sister is catholic although she has not gone to church since childhood. She is going to get married to someone who is not catholic. She is not getting married in the catholic church. She is going to ask me, my wife and my children to all be in the wedding. So I don't know what I am supposed/allowed to do here. Am I allowed to be in her non catholic wedding even though she is catholic and should be getting married in the church? Am I allowed to even attend her non catholic wedding? I need to know what a catholic is supposed to do in this situation. Obviously my family who were all raised catholic but have not been practicing since my childhood are going to blow up if I tell them I can't be in the wedding. Although I don't want to be in the wedding if the church says I should not be in the wedding. I just don't know what the church says I should do abour this situation. Help is needed please.

This is a prudential matter; which means it go either way depending on the circumstances involved.

I would say, and I might be corrected here by another scholar, that if she really has been practicing the faith from childhood, then there might not be scandal in her un-Catholic wedding. So feel free to attend.