An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans Of The Renewal

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Mostly curious about the Sisters, but can somebody who has experience please describe their "style" of celebrating Holy Mass for me?

Such as:
-Do they use guitars, pianos, organs, only voices, etc?
-How is Holy Communion distributed and received? (EMHCs, on the tongue/hand/kneeling/standing, etc)
-Who reads the readings?
-Ever celebrate the Extraordinary Form?
-Saint Michael prayer after Mass?
-Chapel veils for postulants?
-Use of Latin?
-Adding words to the Gloria, Sanctus, or Our Father (if sung...)?
-Ad orientem (to the east)?

And anything else you can share. Please be as specific as possible.

Thank you so much! :)

Strictlyinkblot

I don't know much about the sisters but the sisters featured in a documentary last year called 'Young Nuns' that was broadcasted by the BBC. There were segments about their work, a profession ceremony and how they live their life. I don't think there was anything specific about the Mass on it. Its probably not what you're looking for but it might be worth checking it out. The documentary also shows two women as they discern religious life, one with the Benedictines of St. Cecilia's Abbey on the Isle of Wight and one with the Dominicans of St. Joseph.

I have been on a discernment retreat with the Sisters before so I am fairly familiar with their Mass. My answers are in bold.

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1353920098' post='2516886']
Such as:
-Do they use guitars, pianos, organs, only voices, etc?
[b]--The convent I was staying in did not have any instruments in the Chapel whatsoever because it was too small, so the Sisters simply used their voices. In the postulant house, they have a piano and the Sisters know how to play guitars but they were only played during Adoration while I was there. They believe in reverence to the Eucharist so their accompanying music is very reverent and holy.[/b]

-How is Holy Communion distributed and received? (EMHCs, on the tongue/hand/kneeling/standing, etc)
[b]--I think it is up to each Sister how she receives, but most of them received on the tongue while standing.[/b]

-Who reads the readings?
[b]--A Sister is selected to read the Readings during the Mass and Liturgy of the Hours.[/b]

-Ever celebrate the Extraordinary Form?
[b]--Not usually. It is very rare. In the convent Chapel, a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal comes to celebrate Mass each day. Sometimes, the Sisters in East Harlem attend Mass at St. Cecilia's during the week and it is celebrated in Spanish.[/b]

-Saint Michael prayer after Mass?
[b]--I don't remember praying the St. Michael prayer. The Sisters prayed a prayer of St. Francis afterward that was very reverent. Unfortunately, it's been almost 3 years so I don't remember the prayer.[/b]

-Chapel veils for postulants?
[b]--No, the postulants do not wear chapel veils.[/b]

-Use of Latin?
[b]--Very little is used if at all.[/b]

-Adding words to the Gloria, Sanctus, or Our Father (if sung...)?
[b]--No, they do not change the traditional wording.[/b]

-Ad orientem (to the east)?
[b]--No, the Mass is celebrated with the priest facing the congregation.[/b]
[/quote]

I love the Sisters very much and sincerely hoped I was called there, but it was not to be. If you are looking for a reverent order with no Latin, this would be the order to join, but I suspect it is not what you are looking for. You'd probably want to discern with the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate or another Latin order.

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353940216' post='2516926']
I :love: the CFRs. They are so great.
[/quote]

Indeed, they are! :)

I think they are [u]fabulous[/u] [b]even though [/b]I side on the Dominican side of things.

Their Masses are some of the most solemn and reverent ordinary form masses around.... they don't skimp on beautiful vestments etc... either despite being wedded to holy poverty to such a high degree. I would recommend anyone who seems remotely interested to make a retreat with them.

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1353962845' post='2517082']
I think they are [u]fabulous[/u] [b]even though [/b]I side on the Dominican side of things.

Their Masses are some of the most solemn and reverent ordinary form masses around.... they don't skimp on beautiful vestments etc... either despite being wedded to holy poverty to such a high degree. I would recommend anyone who seems remotely interested to make a retreat with them.
[/quote]

Gosh, I wish I was called there! It's so hard to concede that I'm called somewhere else. During my retreat, I kept hoping, but I never once felt the draw that comes when you know a place is "home." It was entirely neutral. Plus, the Vocation Director at the time told me that they do not allow people to enter when they need medication for depression. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for an authentic Franciscan order. You will not be disappointed with them. :)

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353926775' post='2516895']
I have been on a discernment retreat with the Sisters before so I am fairly familiar with their Mass. My answers are in bold.

I love the Sisters very much and sincerely hoped I was called there, but it was not to be. If you are looking for a reverent order with no Latin, this would be the order to join, but I suspect it is not what you are looking for. You'd probably want to discern with the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate or another Latin order.
[/quote]

Thank you for your honest answers! I am very appreciative. I am looking for the use of Latin during Mass, but of course that is not my main discernment criteria. The "little things" DO matter, though. I very much want to visit the FSI. If it's His will, I'll find a way! :)

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1353940216' post='2516926']
I :love: the CFRs. They are so great.
[/quote]
:woot:

I wuv them too :love:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1353970672' post='2517247']

Gosh, I wish I was called there! It's so hard to concede that I'm called somewhere else. During my retreat, I kept hoping, but I never once felt the draw that comes when you know a place is "home." It was entirely neutral. Plus, the Vocation Director at the time told me that they do not allow people to enter when they need medication for depression. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for an authentic Franciscan order. You will not be disappointed with them. :)
[/quote]
I wrote to them two months ago. I am waiting to hear back before I call them. :)

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1354026339' post='2517663']
I wrote to them two months ago. I am waiting to hear back before I call them. :)
[/quote]

Best wishes to you! My friend is spending a year with an active ministry similar to LAMP in NYC and then plans to try again. I'm still so happy that she is discerning with them. :)

• 4 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

Have you heard back yet from them? Best wishes! :)

I really want to visit them now. The CFRs, FSI, Children of Mary, and Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa are on my wishlist to visit. 

Happy fourth Sunday of Advent to all. 

Have you heard back yet from them? Best wishes! :)

I really want to visit them now. The CFRs, FSI, Children of Mary, and Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa are on my wishlist to visit. 

Happy fourth Sunday of Advent to all. 

I highly recommend the CFRs!  I'm sure you have read it before but I truly wish that order was my calling.  I love all the Sisters and Friars dearly and look forward to seeing them.  However, it became evident, during my time on the discernment retreat, that I didn't feel any such calling and it was confirmed by both Fr. Andrew Apostoli and Sr. Francis (the VD at the time).  However, that does not erase my love for them.  They are amazing people!  :)

BTW, Sr. Mary Pieta is now the VD for the Sisters.  I got to meet her about a month ago and she is so sweet and easy to talk to.  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

To Jesus Through Mary

Best wishes to you! My friend is spending a year with an active ministry similar to LAMP in NYC and then plans to try again. I'm still so happy that she is discerning with them. :)

I don't know how I missed this... Who is your friend, if I may ask? Is it B? I am with LAMP. :)