An Old School Catholic Message Board

Neilson Carlin Keeping The Tradition Of Religious Painting Alive!

BigJon16

Rhetorical question, and perhaps this is not the place, but why is it that if a piece of art isn't from the school of realism it isn't generally treated as sacred?

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1353963487' post='2517091']
Rhetorical question, and perhaps this is not the place, but why is it that if a piece of art isn't from the school of realism it isn't generally treated as sacred?
[/quote]
If I had to speculate a bit, I would say that it has to do with the highly symbolic nature of the iconographic style. But I am not an artist, nor an iconographer.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1353963815' post='2517095']
If I had to speculate a bit, I would say that it has to do with the highly symbolic nature of the iconographic style. But I am not an artist, nor an iconographer.
[/quote]

Not all that is sacred art is an icon, nor is the tradition of such symbols entirely consistent across works typically called sacred. I'm not a trained artist either, but I have never been given a straight answer on this. I know many Catholic are very attached to Renaissance art, and also older monastic-developed arts like eastern icons. Why is this? What is it about all the other ways of doing art that makes it inherently un-sacred? Is it just that no one has tried the others yet?

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1353964111' post='2517100']
Not all that is sacred art is an icon, nor is the tradition of such symbols entirely consistent across works typically called sacred. I'm not a trained artist either, but I have never been given a straight answer on this. I know many Catholic are very attached to Renaissance art, and also older monastic-developed arts like eastern icons. Why is this? What is it about all the other ways of doing art that makes it inherently un-sacred? Is it just that no one has tried the others yet?
[/quote]

My line of thinking is wondering if iconography is treated as a de facto standard, and art will be considered sacred art to the extent that it has more or fewer elements from the iconographic style.

I do not know though. I particularly love a lot of Renaissance paintings. Especially the religious ones. I love icons too. But if one thinks about it, I am not even sure they are comparable, even inasmuch as they are both religious works. Seems like two very different things.

I should grab my copy of Spirit of the Liturgy when I get home. I know he addresses the idea of sacred art. I may or may not have time to do so though.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxjgAP495-I

and this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbbArAwwuYU&feature=plcp

then watch the rest of the series

I wish they had a list that showed what places they are taking those photos from. The second video had some images I wanted to look up.