An Old School Catholic Message Board

Healing From Abuse Online Support

Biz

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knew of any online resources/support for those who experienced sexual abuse that are Catholic? Most of the resources I am finding are secular and are not the most friendly to those who have strong religious beliefs. When I google this to try and find anything it just pops up for the clergy abuse stuff. So I am not getting very far trying to research this on my own.

Thanks so much!

Biz

theculturewarrior

I've gotten help from the Morris Center.  They have a book called the Survivors to Thrivers manual that was very helpful for me.  The secular resources seem to be preferred for this because people often announce the possible triggers before they discuss their religious beliefs.  An environment with a distinct Catholic flavor may scare off people who have been abused by clergy because they would want to be reminded of it only in a safe, self-determined manner.  I will pray.

Edited by theculturewarrior

Does your diocese run any programs, or refer to any?

The problem is I am looking for a more online thing because I am pretty reluctant to speak about certain things IRL. I have found this Catholic therapist website (www.Catholictherapist.com), but haven't really gotten the guts up to contact the diocese or them.

I've gotten help from the Morris Center.  They have a book called the Survivors to Thrivers manual that was very helpful for me.  The secular resources seem to be preferred for this because people often announce the possible triggers before they discuss their religious beliefs.  An environment with a distinct Catholic flavor may scare off people who have been abused by clergy because they would want to be reminded of it only in a safe, self-determined manner.  I will pray.

That is kind of the problem I am running into- maybe even not something Catholic, but even Christian. Because it just seems that if you hold the belief in truth, have a love for the priesthood, believe in chastity (and celibacy for consecrated), or certain acts are intrinsically wrong, that there is not room for acceptance (Ironic because the religious ones are considered the intolerant). Or that healing can only come from God... etc It is just a very different approach. 

Thank you for the link! It does look like a wonderful program and that I could really benefit from it. I called them to see how much their Philly conference in Feb and it is $1500!! Which for me might as well be a million. It is completely unreachable. They don't have a scholarship or anything. Who knows though, maybe good ol' St. Joe has something up his sleeve. ;)