An Old School Catholic Message Board

Frustrated

Joan Marie Wandel

Joan Marie Wandel

Hi all

Please keep me in your prayers I'm getting frustrated with the whole discernmet thing I'm discerning with a community. But she wanted me to get a second job and. I did and now she wants mw to get some training well I thought about can well how can I do all of it

Hi all

Please keep me in your prayers I'm getting frustrated with the whole discernmet thing I'm discerning with a community. But she wanted me to get a second job and. I did and now she wants mw to get some training well I thought about can well how can I do all of it

I've been in a similar situation.  I had to reconcile the fact that the community wanted too much of me and were not willing to be flexible.  I tried my best to meet their demands but it was not possible at the time.  If you feel this way about this community, perhaps it's a good idea to re-evaluate whether or not you are called there.  Why does the vocation director desire you to get a second job?  Do you have debt that needs to be taken care of before you enter?

She wants me to get my can or in home health care but I can't work 2 jobs and go to school

I think the Vocation Director, while she may have good intentions, is expecting too much from you.  Working 2 jobs while going to school will make you stressed out and is not a good idea unless you can handle stress better than the average person.  Is this debt from student loans or personal credit?

Joan Marie:

My first suggestion -- deep breath, in, out.  Breathe :).

Ok on a more serious note -- once you calm down, sit down with the vocation directress and come up with something that you both will be happy with.  I remember when I applied to a very active community (I was considered a "candidate"), the expectations started as one thing and all of a sudden moved to something else.  I was frustrated ... and once I did the live-in (while working my full time job, which required travel) I realized that to be a postulant with that community and to be employed in my current career was NOT going to work.

To me it sounds like the sister is trying to give you suggestions for getting your loans paid off, and the education advice may be both for the community's benefit and for yours (if it takes a while to pay off your loans, then the education can only help raise your salary).

Praying ... and again a calm sit-down with the vocation directress and coming up with a plan will probably calm you down (and help her as well).

carmenchristi

If I were you, I would NOT attempt to work 2 jobs ang go to school. You should be working on paying off your debt. Maybe 2 jobs is a good idea, I don't know. But if the community wants to benefit from your service as a cna then they can send you to school after novitiate. It seems to me that if they need you to do a certain job, it is their responsibility to provide the necessary training. Otherwise it seems that they would be taking advantage of you. I would speak with the VD and tell her how you feel. You should be focusing on the debt. If she is fixed on you going to school and you have your heart set on this community, maybe another solution. Is there a benefactor of the community who would allow you to live with them so you can go to school without getting a second job? Try a compromise. If that doesn't work, then maybe it's time for you to reevaluate. If they are overloading you and you haven't even entered yet, how will it be when you are professed and don't have a choice to accept or refuse what they ask of you?

Joan Marie Wandel

Thank you everyone I have doing a lot of thinking today. I plan to still to discern with the but I'm rethinking everything, praying and plan on taking C n a in the fall.

Joan, I don't know if anything like this is available near you, but when I worked at the local One Stop Career Center here in California,  there are some programs that allow one to train as a CNA while being paid.  I placed a couple of people in the program while I worked there. 

The one available through our center allowed people who fit into certain categories (unemployed, people under 24, and a few other groups) to sign up to do the training at a huge non-profit retirement home.  The home needed workers; the people needed training and jobs.  What was set up was that the students'  tuition, books, uniforms, public transit, etc. were paid for while they were in training, and they were given a living allowance as well.  They were guaranteed a job if they passed the course.   In exchange, they agreed to stay on working at the facility for a period of time (I think a year or two but I am not sure).   Maybe the Sisters are thinking of a program like this?

It certainly is worth checking into what might be out there.....You might check with your local One Stop Career Center to know if they know of any programs like this. PM me if you want more info or help seeing what might be in your area...

You might also want to check out this blog.  It was the blog of Deepa Kingry, who is now Sr. Mary Augustine, a novice with the Summit Dominicans.  It is a regular blog, but in many of the entries, she outlined all the steps she took to get her personal debt elimintated so she could go into Summit.  You might get some ideas and/or just some encouragement by looking it over.  It is quite a testimonial to God's powerful love and assistance to help her get her debt eliminated so she could return to the monastery.

http://outsidethecitywalls.blogspot.com/

Praying for you....