Brother Adam Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 In my Lutheran church eons ago peeps that could not recieve communion went up and received a blessing from the pastor. Does this hold true for the Catholic Church as well? I hate always being the odd ball out and being the only one who stays in the pew during communion. ...especially when I have such a strong desire to recieve
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Yes. There! I quick answer for a quick question!
Joseph Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Actually we were encouraged to go up and receive a blessing from the priest when we were in RCIA.
Sojourner Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 We had a thread on this a while back, I think. I'll see if I can find it ...
homeschoolmom Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 My children go up to receive a blessing (make sure you are in the PRIEST line... not an EME line)... Cross your arms in front of your chest. That's all...
Sojourner Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=5023&hl="]Here's the old thread on this topic. [/url]
Brother Adam Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 [quote]Blessings instead of Communion, during Communion time is an obvious example of poorly formed people, acting on feelings rather than on a good understanding of the liturgy, and distorting the purpose of the Communion procession, as well as the duties of those distributing the Body and Blood of Jesus[/quote] So the answer seems to be absolutely not. This isn't a problem for me, either way, I just want to know I'm doing the right thing.
homeschoolmom Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 "absolutely not" according to whom? I reread that thread, too... It seemed pretty harsh. Those who are in RCIA aren't just sitting there because they "failed to get their butts to confession." They truly want to be there... probably more than a good percentage of the Catholics. I don't think it's wrong to get a blessing while you await the greatest blessing of all. (there will come a time during Lent when you get ceremonaly booted out during the Eucharist to remind you that you aren't there yet...) HS_Dad and I did not get blessings while we were in RCIA, btw.
Brother Adam Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 Hrm.... Dissension in the ranks. lol. Seems this is one of those things that Catholics can still fight about because there is no official word on it yet. I donno. I'm just trying to learn. I'm still in a state of "culture" shock even though I spent most of my life as a Lutheran (Lutherans have liturgical worship).
homeschoolmom Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Unless I am shown otherwise... I still say it isn't wrong... HOWEVER... I have not seen any adults go up for blessings (but I hardly see any sitting in their pew either... I wonder if anyone even considers NOT going up...) I looked to see if anyone did get a blessing while I was in RCIA. I don't think I did. And therefore, we didn't. But I don't believe that it would be wrong to get one-- especially if you are struggling with things... What could be more helpful than a blessing from the priest??? Plus it gets you closer to the Holy Eucharist... even if you can't have it. And that's my opinion unless I am politely corrected...
Brother Adam Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 And ya' after reading that it feels like Anna has slapped my hand with a yard stick and said "Bad Adam! Bad!" lol.
homeschoolmom Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Wouldn't "Bad Adam" need all the blessings he could get?
cmotherofpirl Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 A priest can give a Church blessing, and EEM cannot. The Eucharist is worth waiting for.
Brother Adam Posted May 23, 2004 Author Posted May 23, 2004 I believe it is. Even though I can't take it yet, I still refrain from eating an hour before and after mass. Easter Vigil come quickly!
jasJis Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 One of the problems with EEMs. I am not a big fan of EEMs. I've been asked to become one many times, but I won't. As CMom pointed out, only the Priest can give a Blessing. It sort of started because parents would bring their kids with them (maybe they were too young) to leave in the pew and the Priest would bless them. Some parents bring their kids as training to participate in Mass. Don't forget the Eucharist is the Summation of the Unity of the Body of Christ and all Baptized children are also part of the Body. EEM's should NOT give 'official' blessings, but they are stuck when parents present their kids or the kids are in line. I see most EEMs just put their hand on the shoulder and say God bless you, like we all do. A priest gives a more formal blessing. I lived in one parish that neatly avoided alot of this confusion. After Communion, and after the Song and Sacred Silence, the priest would go to the front of the Altar and call for the Children to recieve Blessings. This avoided the EEMs blessing out of ignorance on their part or the the parents. It also delineated the difference of Communal Eucharist and Communal Worship.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 23, 2004 Posted May 23, 2004 Isn't that adding something to the Mass that isn't supposed to be there? What about doing it after Mass, when he can talk to the children? Our diocese does it formally every Easter Sunday. All the Bishops line up in the front of the Cathedral and anybody can bring thir children up and be blessed. They ask the kids what parish they go, how do they lke school, and the kids can get their pictures taken etc. There is always a long line but it is worth it.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 I dunno anything about the EEMs or anything, but I know our missalete encourages coming up for a blessing.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now