An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prepaid Cell Phones

OnlySunshine

Prepaid Cell Phones  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if any of you can help me but I thought I'd post just in case.  I've been having a lot of issues with my current cell phone provider -- T-Mobile.  I started out with a contract plan but ended that in 2006 and I've had a prepaid phone ever since.  However, my current phone sucks.  It is a Samsung slider phone -- T239.  It constantly drops the signal and calls even though I can stand in one place and it will have a signal and then, for no reason, it's gone.  It's the worst indoors.  I don't use my phone that often -- it's mostly for emergencies -- but I want something reliable.  I just became aware that MetroPCS is looking to purchase T-Mobile but I'm not too crazy about their prepaid plan because you have to renew every few months.  That's the one thing I like about T-Mobile -- my minutes are good for a whole year and rollover with each refill.

I have one of two options:

1.  Keep the plan I have now, get a new phone, and possibly switch later.

2.  Use up my minutes and then activate a plan on another network.

The problem is that the phones for T-Mobile stink right now.  I can't afford something over $50 and I wouldn't really want something fancy anyway.  I've looked on eBay but their selection is pretty shoddy, too. 

If I go with a different provider, does anyone know of another prepaid network where the minutes are good for a whole year and rollover? 

I know of a number of people who have MetroPCS (paid on a monthly basis).  It is something like $50 no contract, and unlimited minutes.  If you don't really use the phone, then maybe another provider (Virgin Moble, Verizon prepaid). 

If you use basics for the phone, then if your service is good then stay with T-Mobile.  I personally don't like T-Mobile ... their coverage is bad around where I live (yet AT&T is 4G in this area ... the only 4G provider here).

You know the saying, you get what you pay for.  Verizon is the best nation wide, my suggestion would be pay as you go and their phones are within you price range.  I have to warn you though and this isn't just for phones, it's for everything.  When you buy a discounted phone, you'll end up paying the tax of the full retail price.  It may be slightly above your range.  Here's a link http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/prepay/processPrePayRequest.do?type=ppmonth

I know of a number of people who have MetroPCS (paid on a monthly basis).  It is something like $50 no contract, and unlimited minutes.  If you don't really use the phone, then maybe another provider (Virgin Moble, Verizon prepaid). 

If you use basics for the phone, then if your service is good then stay with T-Mobile.  I personally don't like T-Mobile ... their coverage is bad around where I live (yet AT&T is 4G in this area ... the only 4G provider here).

Yeah, coverage around my area sucks.  My parents have AT&T and they usually have no problem getting a signal.  I've considered getting the AT&T GoPhone but it doesn't have rollover minutes unless you get a monthly plan which I don't want.

Although phones can have some effect on signal, it doesn't sound like the problem is your phone, but the service. You say your parents have no problem with AT&T in your area. I would ask around among your friends to get more of a consensus of what works the best in your area. If AT&T is the answer, you should probably go with them.

A good option would be to look for a MVNO carrier in your area that uses the AT&T network. These smaller carriers lease the network from a specific company like AT&T or t-mobile, and resell the service, often at a significantly lower cost. Straight-talk, for example, is a phone service sold by Walmart that uses t-mobile's network in my area. It might use a different network in another area. But since t-mobile works excellently in my area, I found it to be a great choice. 

Here is a list of MVNO carriers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Just look for one with the "host network" of AT&T.

I don't know if any of you can help me but I thought I'd post just in case.  I've been having a lot of issues with my current cell phone provider -- T-Mobile.  I started out with a contract plan but ended that in 2006 and I've had a prepaid phone ever since.  However, my current phone sucks.  It is a Samsung slider phone -- T239.  It constantly drops the signal and calls even though I can stand in one place and it will have a signal and then, for no reason, it's gone.  It's the worst indoors.  I don't use my phone that often -- it's mostly for emergencies -- but I want something reliable.  I just became aware that MetroPCS is looking to purchase T-Mobile but I'm not too crazy about their prepaid plan because you have to renew every few months.  That's the one thing I like about T-Mobile -- my minutes are good for a whole year and rollover with each refill.

I have one of two options:

1.  Keep the plan I have now, get a new phone, and possibly switch later.

2.  Use up my minutes and then activate a plan on another network.

The problem is that the phones for T-Mobile stink right now.  I can't afford something over $50 and I wouldn't really want something fancy anyway.  I've looked on eBay but their selection is pretty shoddy, too. 

If I go with a different provider, does anyone know of another prepaid network where the minutes are good for a whole year and rollover? 

Mater -- My fiance has a used Samsung Smile :) (it stills works perfectly but does look used) that I can send you for free. I switched to Verizon when I moved to Nebraska because T-Mobile doesn't work here.

Although phones can have some effect on signal, it doesn't sound like the problem is your phone, but the service. You say your parents have no problem with AT&T in your area. I would ask around among your friends to get more of a consensus of what works the best in your area. If AT&T is the answer, you should probably go with them.

A good option would be to look for a MVNO carrier in your area that uses the AT&T network. These smaller carriers lease the network from a specific company like AT&T or t-mobile, and resell the service, often at a significantly lower cost. Straight-talk, for example, is a phone service sold by Walmart that uses t-mobile's network in my area. It might use a different network in another area. But since t-mobile works excellently in my area, I found it to be a great choice. 

Here is a list of MVNO carriers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Just look for one with the "host network" of AT&T.

That's very helpful.  Thank you!  :)

Mater -- My fiance has a used Samsung Smile :) (it stills works perfectly but does look used) that I can send you for free. I switched to Verizon when I moved to Nebraska because T-Mobile doesn't work here.

As much as I appreciate the offer, I prefer to stay away from Samsung phones.  My mom had one for a while and hers didn't last long at all.  If I get a new one, it will be Nokia.  :)

Ahh I see. Just thought I'd offer since it's just sitting here. This bad boy's been going since 2010 :) If you change your mind, just let me know!

KnightofChrist

At&t Go phone? NO! I had one their really bad, bad bad. I can think of no other prepaid company that is worse than At&t Go. Save for trackphones which is owned by At&t.

At&t contract service maybe cool and such but their Go phone plans as I recall are poo.

Net10, Boost/Virgin Mobile, and Verizon are ok.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I can attest - I had Virgin Mobile, it was great! I NEVER had a problem with coverage or service. They run on Sprint towers. Easy to figure out, very affordable. Wide range of phones and plans. I high recommend them!

Basilisa Marie

I know there's a way you can look up (online) where different phone companies offer cell coverage.  That's what my family did when they switched from Nextel to Verizon, because we got no service in our house with Nextel (yay for living on a hillside in the woods!).  My dad found that Verizon gave better coverage in our area, so we switched.  So my advice would be to switch plans when you can, to something that gives better coverage in most of the places that you're going to be.  Then see which companies that offer good coverage have the best kind of plans. Almost all of the major companies offer some kind of prepaid cell phone service.  It'd be worth it for the better coverage, even if you have to "downgrade" your phone a bit.