An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is My Prayer Life Being Affected By Ocd?

jazzytakara

I suffer from a few anxiety disorders, OCD being one of them. It isn't too extreme the way the media often displays it, but it gets in the way a few times. Lately I've been realizing my prayer life has become repetitive, and more so about 'if I don't say the same things everyday, God might not here, or choose not to listen'. I will add things, but I won't take away or change the phrasing of the original things I pray for. I will say virtually the same thing every night, and it is starting to feel as if I am doing it more so out of anxiety over what would happen if I didn't pray for the same things or the same people every night, than I am to increase my relationship with the Lord. 

I'm not even sure how to pray properly, I have never been really shown an example, but I don't want my prayer life to become meaningless all because of a mental illness. Can anyone give me any advice on how to fix my prayer life (if it needs to be), and do my past prayers still count or do they need to be mentioned every night before I go to bed?