An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas Tree Behind The Altar

beaverman

Hi, the parish I go to has put a Christmas tree behind the altar and it obstructs the view of the tabernacle. Is this bad? I talked the guy who works there and he does not see it necessary to move it since the focus of the mass is on the altar. I am very concerned but I am not sure if I am overreacting. What is your opinion on this?

Christmas trees are preferably located outside the sanctuary and church proper, and are best left in vestibules or church grounds. This has been the practice in St. Peter's Square from the time of the late Pope John Paul II. ... Within the church proper, apart from the crib, Christmas may be evoked by using, for example, traditional poinsettias, holly and other traditional elements according to the culture. I have no difficulty with Christmas trees, but ... I think that placing them in the sanctuary is not a common practice in the Church. It is not advisable because, as a ubiquitous symbol, it no longer has an exclusively religious meaning and can easily evoke the more material and commercial aspect of the holy season. At Christmas (and Easter) there is no great difficulty in having a more liberal and prodigious display of flowers than is usual, but never so much as to distract attention away from the liturgical celebration's central foci of attention: the altar and ambo and the presidential chair.