An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Brain Tanners Here?

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

So my good friend and Spritual Director, Fr Nick, went bow hunting yesterday, and gave me the hide and head so that I can try my hand at brain tanning (something I have always wanted to do). I'm been studding up on off and on over the last couple years. So my question is, does anyone in the Pham brain tan, and is so what were the problem areas you found in tanning your first hide...or things you think I should just plain avoid doing.

Got 10 hides in the freezer right now that I plan on doing this spring...Probably the best instructions I've found are here

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/braintan.html

Have used this method before and found it to work well, be prepared to do alot of work, braintanning is probably the hardest method but the end result is a superior tanned hide worth far more than anything commercially done... Good luck and let us know how it goes...

I use brain tanning for rabbit skins.  It works well.  The main problem I have come against with tanning in general is the risk of puncturing the skin while scraping it; but rabbit skin is much thinner than deer.  There is still the chance of puncture, but you probably will not have as much trouble with it as I.  A problem with brain tanning, specifically, is fur retension in the long-term.  It begins falling out after a while.  That is just a side effect of the tanning method.  To help with this, I would suggest curing the skins as soon as possible and using them gently.  Do not over-work them.

I have also tanned with a mixture of olive oil and salt.  This is my usual method.  I put the salt on first, and then when the skin is half dry, I add olive oil and more salt.  I find that the moisture from the oil helps hold the fur better.  It has worked very well for me; I come out with a clean, soft tan after only minimal working.  I haven't met anyone or read anything from anyone who tans this way, however.

I use brain tanning for rabbit skins.  It works well.  The main problem I have come against with tanning in general is the risk of puncturing the skin while scraping it; but rabbit skin is much thinner than deer.  There is still the chance of puncture, but you probably will not have as much trouble with it as I.  A problem with brain tanning, specifically, is fur retension in the long-term.  It begins falling out after a while.  That is just a side effect of the tanning method.  To help with this, I would suggest curing the skins as soon as possible and using them gently.  Do not over-work them.

I have also tanned with a mixture of olive oil and salt.  This is my usual method.  I put the salt on first, and then when the skin is half dry, I add olive oil and more salt.  I find that the moisture from the oil helps hold the fur better.  It has worked very well for me; I come out with a clean, soft tan after only minimal working.  I haven't met anyone or read anything from anyone who tans this way, however.