An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

ApologeticMom

ApologeticMom

I am trying to do some research on Life Teen for my parish.  We are a smaller rural parish in the middle of the bible belt.  We don't have professional staff for PRE or Youth Ministry (would love to hire someone if they would come).  Life Teen seems to be easy to implement and run.  Is it in line with orthodox teaching?

Lifeteen is orthodox.  With Lifeteen, it has everything to do with how it is implemented.  It's not just "youth ministry in a box."  It's a great resource for a youth ministry program if used well, but really, there needs to be more to the program than just Lifeteen.  At my parish, my youth minister used Lifeteen his first two years as a youth minister, and then stopped using it.  Even when he was using it, he didn't follow it completely; rather, he picked out the things that he liked, and often just did his own thing.  

I've worked with Lifeteen, and as a resource of topics and teaching, it's great.  It's really handy, especially if you don't entirely know what you're doing.  But after a while, you should rely less on Lifeteen, and more on your own knowledge.  

While, as others have said, Lifeteen can be an okay program, as a former young person in a parish in the Bible belt, I (personally) would have preferred a program that differed sharply from the youth programs of the Baptists, not one that attempted to imitate them.

Here we go... :popcorn2: I smell the butthurt already.

I bet that smells like.... I don't even want to think about that smell.

My parish uses LifeTeen. I agree that it's not so much about the program itself, but rather how the individual Youth Minister uses it in conjunction with his/her own knowledge and talent and God's grace. Wouldn't rely on the program as simply a "youth group in a box" type deal. Youth Ministry isn't simple, and it takes quite a bit of teaching and ministry skills. A youth group isn't made by having the best structure and format, but by having dedicated, devout, and experienced youth ministers as well as an over abundant amount of grace.

The program itself has it's ups and downs, but it's better than having a really bad youth group or not having one at all.

I'd say my youth group has had an amesome influence on my life. Has Lifeteen been a part of that? Yes.

PhuturePriest

My parish uses LifeTeen. I agree that it's not so much about the program itself, but rather how the individual Youth Minister uses it in conjunction with his/her own knowledge and talent and God's grace. Wouldn't rely on the program as simply a "youth group in a box" type deal. Youth Ministry isn't simple, and it takes quite a bit of teaching and ministry skills. A youth group isn't made by having the best structure and format, but by having dedicated, devout, and experienced youth ministers as well as an over abundant amount of grace.

The program itself has it's ups and downs, but it's better than having a really bad youth group or not having one at all.

I'd say my youth group has had an amesome influence on my life. Has Lifeteen been a part of that? Yes.

Good post. But are you really going to keep making jokes about me being a girl when you have what must be the gayest avatar I have ever seen?

missionseeker

Life teen can be orthodox. Unfortunately, it is set up where it can easily become unorthodox, self centered, banal crap. It is my experience that this happens more often than not. I avoid life teen masses at all cost.

missionseeker

Life teen can be orthodox. Unfortunately, it is set up where it can easily become unorthodox, self centered, banal crap. It is my experience that this happens more often than not. I avoid life teen masses at all cost.

Are you really going to keep making jokes about me being a girl when you have what must be the gayest avatar I have ever seen?

haters_gonna_hate.jpg