Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a poetry project I need handed in by Thursday, and I'm stuck on what to write about. Any ideas?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by i<3LSOP
Posted

Describe the project.

 

On a more generic "how to be creative" note, consider this:

 

Your mind is not limitlessly creative. It's not like being God where you can make something from nothing. You need to have "stuff" to work with. What you feed your mind, your eyes and your ears with will be the stuff you have available to paint, compose, or write with later. If you're finding you don't have what you need in your creative toolbox then maybe it's time to take a little break and go find something else to put in it. Do something you don't normally do, perhaps. Here are things I sometimes do when I can't think of anything:

 

- Talk to someone I haven't talked to in a while, or someone completely unfamiliar to me.

- Go for a walk, get out of the house, and do something.

- Go on Wikipedia and pick the "Random article" option.

- Turn off the existing media inputs, such as music. Leave it like that for an hour or more.

 

Stuff like that.

Posted (edited)

The instructor said,

 

Go home and write 

a page tonight.

And let that page come out of you---

Then, it will be true.

 

I wonder if it's that simple? 
I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem. 
I went to school there, then Durham, then here 
to this college on the hill above Harlem. 
I am the only colored student in my class. 
The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem 
through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas, 
Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y, 
the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator 
up to my room, sit down, and write this page:

It's not easy to know what is true for you or me 
at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what 
I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: 
hear you, hear me---we two---you, me, talk on this page. 
(I hear New York too.) Me---who? 
Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love. 
I like to work, read, learn, and understand life. 
I like a pipe for a Christmas present, 
or records---Bessie, bop, or Bach. 
I guess being colored doesn't make me NOT like 
the same things other folks like who are other races. 
So will my page be colored that I write? 
Being me, it will not be white. 
But it will be 
a part of you, instructor. 
You are white--- 
yet a part of me, as I am a part of you. 
That's American. 
Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me. 
Nor do I often want to be a part of you. 
But we are, that's true! 
As I learn from you,
I guess you learn from me--- 
although you're older---and white--- 
and somewhat more free.

This is my page for English B.

 

--Langston Hughes, "Theme For English B"

Edited by Era Might
Posted (edited)

Describe the project.

 

 

Thanks for all of the tips. :)

 

The project is writing fifteen poems of varying length and style. :scholar:  I have eleven done, and am stumped, but I'll try your suggestions. 

Edited by i<3LSOP
Posted

Whatever you do, don't start off with "There once was a man from Nantucket".... It never ends well. :|

i<3franciscans
Posted

How Catholics are right. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P I dare you! lol ^^

Posted (edited)

How Catholics are right. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P I dare you! lol ^^

 

I would... :hehe:

 

But I'd get an F. :|

 

Edited: I realized I can't post my poem because my teacher will think I copied it

Edited by i<3LSOP
Posted (edited)

Try making a few intentionally obtuse free verse poems that sound really deep, but in fact you are just being pretentious. :|

 

I claim a 15% consulting fee on your Nobel Prize in ten years.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Posted

--Langston Hughes, "Theme For English B"

 

As I continued to read, I guessed that Langston Hughes was the author of the poem. Brilliant writer.
HisChildForever
Posted

Tell us the topics of the poems you've already written. Maybe we'll see a theme and give some suggestions. You could also listen to an inspiring song or two. Or think of a role model you admire like a saint, pick an attribute of his or hers, and write about. You don't necessarily have to mention the saint in the poem, it could be a tribute without being obvious about it.

Posted

Find the prettiest pictures on the Internet you can find and look at them pretending you are there. Write one about a dead person you admired. Imagine seeing your future child's face for the first time.

Posted

Become someone or something (a pencil, a cat, an apple, a historical person, someone from another time period) and look at the world through that person/things eyes and ears.   Use your 5 senses.  Write it down. 

 

Go away for awhile. 

 

Come back and look at it with fresh eyes.  

 

Shampoo, rinse, repeat as needed...    

Posted

Thanks all. I mastered one about hope... it sounds pretty good. One down, three to go. I might write about the tragic car accident that just happened in our town. :(

Posted

Steal verses from obscure rap songs.

 

ed

Posted

Steal verses from obscure rap songs.

 

ed

 

I have to tell my Lit. teacher this. rotfl She'd appreciate it.

Posted

Get drunk. I've done that, before, and it worked out. Like, in a get paid way.

Posted

Thanks all. I mastered one about hope... it sounds pretty good. One down, three to go. I might write about the tragic car accident that just happened in our town. :(

 

Do this. Write one poem each from the perspective of several people - someone who died, the driver, a survivor, a family member of someone who died. 

i<3franciscans
Posted

Bill, Have the two people who survived the crash get married!!!!! That is what I think will happen now.

Posted

I AM FREE! I finished my poems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will write a few more for extra credit but the assigned ones are DONE!

Now for editing and trying to get extra credit. :hehe:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...