An Old School Catholic Message Board

Semi-cloistered Sisters/nuns?

manymarys

I've read of a few in Europe and am wondering if there are any in the states?  It seems that Sisters Servants of the Eternal Word would fit that category, but maybe they leave the convent more often than it appears on their site.  I am discerning a contemplative vocation and have seen the sites of cloistered nuns.

I'm thinking the Benedictines of Mary  - because of their constitutional enclosure.  I don't know how things would change once they get their permanent monastery, but they do leave rarely to go to some ordinations.  What exactly are you implying with semi-cloistered, as the designation no longer canonically exists?

I've read of a few in Europe and am wondering if there are any in the states?  It seems that Sisters Servants of the Eternal Word would fit that category, but maybe they leave the convent more often than it appears on their site.  I am discerning a contemplative vocation and have seen the sites of cloistered nuns.

The Sister Servants of the Eternal Word are, indeed, a semi-contemplative community.  Their apostolate is done almost entirely on their convent grounds. 

Here are some other semi-contemplative communities:

Children of Mary

Little Sisters of St. Francis (contemplative, not cloistered)

Walburga Abbey

Trinitarians of Mary

Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ, Sovereign Priest

Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration

Society of Sisters of the Holy Cross

Order of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Edited by Moderator:  removed reference to a phatmasser at the person's request -- cmaD2006

Edited by cmaD2006

Sister Rose Therese

The Georgetown Visitation Sisters are semi-cloistered.  Essentially, from what I understood, that means they are not under papal enclosure.  So it is up to their Superior to decide on when they can leave the monastery.  They are still considered nuns.

The Georgetown Visitation Sisters are semi-cloistered.  Essentially, from what I understood, that means they are not under papal enclosure.  So it is up to their Superior to decide on when they can leave the monastery.  They are still considered nuns.

The Brooklyn Visitation Monastery appears the same.  All of their ministries are on the convent grounds and they observe enclosure at other times.

St. Benedict Monastery in Texas (non-cloistered contemplatives)

Contemplative Sisters of St. John

All Saints Sisters of the Poor

• 3 weeks later...

In an earlier day, the Little Sisters of the Poor were ranked as Active/Contemplative.  The terminology has changed, but the lifestyle has not.   How much "cloister" are you interested in?  Our convents are private and essentially silent, and our mission to the elderly poor is carried out inside the Home.  We have common prayer several times a day, including choral Lauds, Vespers, and Compline, common meals and common recreation.  If anyone has questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.  Or you might want to check out the discernment retreat at our novitiate in Quees, New York, over Epiphany weekend !