An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical Question

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

Let's say, strictly hypothetically, that my faith has been ruined.  That I have become a hardened, cynical, worldly sinner having wasted my faith in the company of lukewarm and even vicious Catholics and having seen things that no one should ever see. 

Should I change first, and then go to confession, or should try to change as I go to confession?  Does it offend the sacrament of confession if I go in there with a self-awareness that it might take a fews times to make it stick?  That I will probably sin grievously in my heart on the way out the door?

Confession is a Sacrament. It confers grace upon us. We need that grace to help us to not sin again. However, I have an enormous revelation for you. You will sin again. We all do. That's why we have confession. That's why it isn't a once and done thing like Baptism or Confirmation. It is an incredible gift from God. Use it and let your confessor help you.

I promise you that priests do see people repeatedly for the exact same sin. It may grieve them, but it does not surprise them. So long as you are truly sorry for your sin, and trying to remove that sin from your life, it is very appropriate to keeping asking for forgiveness. God is like any good parent in that he doesn't want his children to do wrong, but knows they will. It's part of being human.