An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessed Packaging?

Spooky

So, here's the situation. Waaaaaay back when, I took several items--meant to be used as gifts--to my parish priest to be blessed. Among them were three bottles of Lourdes water covered in bubblewrap and kept in ornate cloth pouches (I knew Lourdes water was not to be blessed, but I was gonna see if he could just bless the bottles themselves since I hoped to use one as a holy water bottle after the water in it had been used. Don't laugh. I was a brand-new Catholic and didn't know if that was a thing. :I ). I set out the gifts on a table while the priest went to get some holy water to sprinkle. When he returned, instead of blessing them individually (as I had expected), he went ahead and blessed the items in groups. He wound up blessing the bottles before I could even tell him what they were (they were difficult/impossible to see through their wrapping). As a result, I don't know if the bottles, or any of their constituent parts, wound up blessed.

So here's my question:

....should I treat the ornate cloth pouches that the bottles came in as blessed objects? 'cause I really want to reuse one of 'em to wrap a Christmas present for a Protestant friend of mine, and I wouldn't want to do that if the pouches were blessed. >_>

Yes, it's a very stupid question, but I have to ask. :\

Edited by Spooky

When there is a blessing the intention is to bless the object, not the packaging or the container it may be in these are incidental unless you specifically request that the packaging be blessed. For example people bring rosaries to be blessed sometimes 100 at a time, usually in a plastic bag. The rosaries are not blessed singularly but together but the plastic bag does not become a sacramental, it is accidental to the rosaries. This goes for other things that may be in their packaging.