An Old School Catholic Message Board

Memorial Ornaments

OnlySunshine

A beloved family friend that I've known all my life passed away this July and it will be the first Christmas that we won't have her celebrating with us.  I miss her very much but I am very relieved to know that she is no longer suffering and will be celebrating Christmas with Jesus, Mary, and all the saints and angels in heaven this year. 

I want to have something to remember her by and I came across the idea of getting a memorial ornament with a frame so we can always remember her each Christmas.  I know it's going to be weird not celebrating with her and I think it would be a nice gift to give my grandmother since she knew her the longest.  However, most of the ornaments are above $10 and I would like to get two so I would like to find them for under $6 or $7 each.  I checked eBay but didn't see anything I liked.  If money was no object, I would really love to get this one:

MerryChristmasfromHeavenFramewithPicture

It's almost $20, however, so that's not an option.  Does anyone know of a place that sells nice ornaments at wholesale?

I will try to find it for you...

Or, maybe I can sunlimate her image on a glass ornament. Not as nice as that ornament, but would have her image on it.

Can you make one yourself? 

Here are instructions from Martha Stewart:  http://www.marthastewart.com/268890/picture-frame-ornaments

Here are ideas from Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/purplevixen/picture-frame-ornament/

I love the Pinterest page.  There are quite a few good ideas on it.  I'll have to go to the Dollar Store this weekend and see if I can find some supplies and try my hand at making my own.

the funeral home that handled mom's arrangements gave out memorial ornaments to the spouses, and others could purchase for $5 if they wished. i don't know where they got them from, though.

i can get this....

F120LG.jpg

While that's a neat idea for someone who is technology friendly, my grandmother would have a difficult time with it.  She is technologically-challenged and probably wouldn't even be able to figure out how to turn it on.  :hmmm:

the funeral home that handled mom's arrangements gave out memorial ornaments to the spouses, and others could purchase for $5 if they wished. i don't know where they got them from, though.

Interesting.  I wonder where they got them from?  :think:

I can do something custom-designed for you on the laser in your price range no problem. If you would like a photo engraving I can do that, or build it in such a way as to allow the insertion of a regular color photo.

Oh, and I should show some pictures of course. None of these are specifically memorial pieces, but they show what I am capable of making and will hopefully give you some ideas.

benedict%2520medal%2520backside.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

arfink, these are beautiful!  I'll be getting back to you very soon.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful answer (esp. arfink!), but, after talking to my mom about this idea, she thought it would just bum everyone out instead of being a nice gesture.  After thinking about it some more, I agree, so I will not be purchasing the ornaments after all.  Thanks anyway!  :)

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful answer (esp. arfink!), but, after talking to my mom about this idea, she thought it would just bum everyone out instead of being a nice gesture.  After thinking about it some more, I agree, so I will not be purchasing the ornaments after all.  Thanks anyway!  :)

Maybe after another year or two, when the pain is not quite so raw, people might be more inclined to appreciate something along those lines. :)